X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 98s' days are numbered!!!!

...on this machine.

hello everybody!

just got my full version of win2k installed in a dual-boot with win98se. installation was a snap, all hardware was recognized. only 2 things were not "fully functional", and thanks to a knowledgeable individual in this forum that provided a link to epson UK, i have only one device(..sblive >> mid-march) left, then i will be able to get rid of win98!!! yeah!!!! all the direct x test pass as do the matrox diagnostics stuff!

i see msft has released an application upgrade...and its' all games yeah!!! the only thing left is hopefully matrox gives us dual display with individual resolution controls like in win98.

Platform Configuration:

Motherboard: AMI MegaRUM II, dual 600Mhz Pentium III processors (installed), each with a 32/512 Cache configuration. 512 Mb of PC100, 8ns memory. Symbios Logic 53C896 U2W SCSI controllers. Intel 443GX Xeon chipset.

SCSI I/O:

Channel 1(LVD/U2): 4 Seagate LVD Cheetah 18LP, ST39103LW Ultra2 Wide SCSI-3 hard Drives, each with 1024k cache.

Channel 2(SE): JAZ 2GB internal, Plex-Writer 8/20, Pioneer DVD-303s ultra-scsi DVD reader and 2 UltraPlex-Wide 17/40 speed CD-ROM drives.

USB: USB Zip Drive, Epson Stylus Scan 2500, Intellimouse Explorer

Networking: The network adapter is a 3Com 3C509B-TX PCI 10/100 Mbps controller, and a US Robotics Courier V.Everything 33.6/28.8/x2/V.90 internal ISA modem.

Video: Matrox G400 Max with Dual Head. The primary display is a Panasonic PanaSync E21, .25-dot pitch, 20" viewable; the secondary display is a Viewsonic flat panel display model VP150.

Multi-media: Creative Labs Sound Blaster Live PCI Bus Mastering sound card. Speaker system is the Cambridge Works FPS2000 Digital speaker system.

chucky

Hi Chucky Cheese,
    Look down about 10 posts for sblive inf. It points to Dell who have release the sblive win2000 drivers and live applications. I installed them and it operates 100% ok.

[This message has been edited by dwright (edited 20 February 2000).]

Comment

dwright

i only got to say one thing..."i luv ya man!!.." i downloaded the file after reading your reply, i got roadrunner and i got a really fast connection to that site...took about 15 min...YES!

just got done installing, the only glitch on my system was that win2k froze on the shutdown. and i think thats was caused a file system error in event viewer concerning ctl3d32.dll, windows said that it restored the previous version...great. all the direct x test run fine as do the creative diagnostics.

i'm contemplating my options...thanks again!!

chucky

Comment

It seems that many of you haven't realised that the win2000 IS NOT a win98 replacement, its actually a WinNT4 replacement.
        Win2000 will NEVER get the same support from games and home use software .
        Windows Millenium(ME)is the true Win98 replacement and the one thst will MAKE a differents in gamming and Home software support.
        If you are a Bussiness Company then Win2000 is the more serious OS for you.
        Athlon Thunderbird 1.1Ghz@1.2~1.3+GHz Socket A 256Kb,Asus A7V dipswitches,GlobalWin FOP32-1 heatsink,GlobalWin 802 Advance ATX Case, 17" Sony Multiscan 200PST,384MB Crucial PC133 CAS=2,ATI Radeon 32Mb DDR,(Matrox Millenium G400 MAX 32MB 5ns SGRAM),IBM Deskstar 75GXP 15Gb UltraATA/100, Quantum Firebal EL 10.2Gb,Hewlett Packard DeskJet 970Cxi,Epson Perfection 1240U Scanner,Sound blaster Live!,Cambridge Soundworks 5.1,Creative PC-DVD 5X,CDR-RW Ricoh MP7040S@MP7060S(Tweaked from 4x--->6x with no problem),Adaptec SCSI 2920C,Diamond SupraExpress 56e PRO,Iomega Zip Drive.

Comment

And what of games that can make use of SMP? That won't work on 98, period. Then why do they exist? FOR NT (now 2K)!!!!

/rant,
          Mark F.
          (Who doesn't own any version of NT/2K)

------------------
          OH NO, my retractable cup holder swallowed a DVD...
          and burped out a movie

Mark F. (A+, Network+, & CCNA)
          --------------------------------------------------
          OH NO, my retractable cup holder swallowed a DVD...
          and burped out a movie

Comment

alessandro

have you ever stopped to ask your self...why the direct x???...i do alot of work in autocad r14 and it does't need dx, is that business enough for you..it is for me! have you seen the recent msft application update?? all games...sorry!!

...i'm tired of dual booting

win2k all the way!

chucky

Comment

True, Win2000 Pro is targeted primarily at workstation usage and small businesses. But MS ain't stupid. They know there's enough of us home use consumers that are as savy and knowledgable as their people (sometimes even more so...). Hence include DX7 and other multimedia capabilities.

It's not built for the average person that goes down to the local Frys (and gets sporked) or Circuit City or Best Buy and buys the off the shelf Compaq or HP.
              Gateway Performance 850 - Matrox G450 32mb DDR, SB Live! Value, Promise UltraATA 66 & 30GB HD - and Windows 2000 Pro

Comment

.......And I'm still waiting for my 98SE from Microsoft! Too funny. In the Bay Area, every other TV commerical is by Microsoft, claiming how their e-commerce solutions can make your business run better. I just love when you click on the buy 98SE online, the next page says wait 4-6 weeks for delivery! Imagine if you ordered memory online and it took that long. And memory's even available at retail outlets.

Sorry for my diversion into "Soapbox" territory. I'm not a Microsoft basher, but couldn't pass up the irony.

John

Comment

Working...
                X