Graphics Card Advice Required

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Graphics Card Advice Required

One of my ATI A-I-W has started it's way to the happy hunting grounds. So I'm considering buying a replacement. I do not need to have video capturing on board but I am interested to know what specs should I look for since I would want to do movie conversion and DVD authoring. I'm not interested in gameing ether.
    We pass this way only once. Make the most of it !

ATI are releasing the new 6000 line next month, so expect a whole bunch of price drops and some interesting new cards.

That would be a good time to buy

Comment

What specs do I look for ? I need a card sutable for video conversion. No gameing or capture
      We pass this way only once. Make the most of it !

Comment

The 6000 series will be better at conversion than the current crop.
        Last time I tried video conversion with either the Nvidia card or the ATi card, they both generated large amounts of artefacts, the ATi one being unwatchable.

This should be fixed with the next gen cards, since they'll use a different method of converting in HW.
        afaik.

they each have their own software for transcoding, ATI one is free, the Nvidia one is Badaboom, and its free for a while, then you have to pay.
        PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
        Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
        +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

I do a lot of conversions using the eRightSoft Super converter control panel for ffmpeg, MEncoder, x264, ffmpeg2theora etc. Using it to encode MKV/MP3 files to play off our mediaserver/NAS works great, especially for the net-enabled Sony BR decks.

SUPER © is a free enhanced 3D video converter encoder player recorder. It has built in all the required video codecs and audio codecs to encode from and into any possible multimedia format in 2D or in 3D. Rendered output files for PC, iPhone, Xbox, Android, PS3..

It can handle flv (handy for putting net videos like YouTube on DVD) and uses all the cores, and rather efficiently at that as it's pretty fast, and free. It's UI can be cryptic, but once you get used to it....

I agree: ATI 6xxx series.
          Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 16 September 2010, 08:15.
          Dr. Mordrid
          ----------------------------
          An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Working...
          X