Clear All

• AMD new "bulldozer" not compatible with AM3

AM3: AM3 processors - yes; Bulldozer no
    AM3+: AM3 processors - yes; Bulldozer yes

offical statement

confirmation from JF_AND, AMD's server guy

So new AM3+ board is backward compatible, cpus are not
    I am bit disappointed about that, they just could not pull it off

A bit late to be telling everyone after there previous staments about compatabilty, well I still harbour a vague hope they may get a cut down AM3 version out later on...but I am not holding my breath.

I'm actually surprised the AMx socket lasted as long as it did. I didn't think the bulldozer would end up being totally compatible in the end. Though I am very excited to see how the Bulldozer compares to the Intel offerings.
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Well according to what I have read the voltage stuff remained the same , but with bulldozer only supporting ddr3 the have a enough spare pins to add another memory channel. That being the main sited reason for incomptability that they need 3 memory channels to support the 8 cores.

That and a dual channel variant would be to expensive to develop.

Comment

Slightly OT:

I just upgraded of my rig partially this week, more or less forced to as my power supply blew and took out the motherboard i had been waiting for the bulldozer but i guess i'll just max out my current system later and see what happens after bulldozer. Its amazing how long my socket A system had survived.

I'm interested to see how AM3+ and Bulldozer turns out.

Anyway, its still nice to see some compatibility still supported by AMD. Those who had gotten a very good AM3 cpu and ram can still upgrade by just swapping out their motherboard if the AM3+ motherboards have more/better hardware.

Old Rig:
        AMD XP3200+ Gigabyte GA-7N400pro CorsairXMS3200 2x1GB XpVGF6800GS512MBAGP Seagate 200GB LGMulti-Drive Dell2407WFP

Changed parts:
        AMD PhenomII555@B55(Quadcore-3.2GHz) Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 Kingston 1x2GB1333DDR3 Generic 8400GS512MB WD1.5TB
        Last edited by Belwarrior; 24 September 2010, 18:01.
        Life is a bed of roses. Everyone else sees the roses, you are the one being gored by the thorns.

AMD PhenomII555@B55(Quadcore-3.2GHz) Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 Kingston 1x2GB Generic 8400GS512MB WD1.5TB LGMulti-Drive Dell2407WFP
        ***Matrox G400DH 32MB still chugging along happily in my other pc***

Comment

Not bad, but single channel memory will seriously hold back the cpu.
          the 555 is a Black edition isn't it ? and unlocked to 4 cores ? Impressive.

Sweet chipset also Would have gone that route myself if i was changing yet.
          PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
          Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
          +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

Originally posted by Evildead666 View Post
            Not bad, but single channel memory will seriously hold back the cpu.
            the 555 is a Black edition isn't it ? and unlocked to 4 cores ? Impressive.

Sweet chipset also Would have gone that route myself if i was changing yet.
            waiting for year end bonus to get 16gb (4x4GB)ram + win7 64bit (currently on winxp), haven't decide on overclocking the 555 (most probably not) but very stable on a 7days non-stop usage with all 4 cores unlocked.. i'm no longer gaming heavily so the graphics card can wait.. really feel this motherboard would last me for some time..definitely would recommend my motherboard to anyone building their rig now

On topic,
            It seems that for AMD, plus sockets (AM2+, AM3+) usually support next gen cpu so i'll wait for AM4+ for my next major upgrade and having a competitive AMD does bring out the best in Intel so in the end the customers benefit. Good of AMD to announce their impending change in compatibility early. I would have waited if my board wasn't spoilt.
            Life is a bed of roses. Everyone else sees the roses, you are the one being gored by the thorns.

AMD PhenomII555@B55(Quadcore-3.2GHz) Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 Kingston 1x2GB Generic 8400GS512MB WD1.5TB LGMulti-Drive Dell2407WFP
            ***Matrox G400DH 32MB still chugging along happily in my other pc***

Comment

No AMD can be any faster than todays core i7's, the only thing going for them is price.

Intel will sell them cheaper eventually.

Comment

Originally posted by Elie View Post
                No AMD can be any faster than todays core i7's, the only thing going for them is price.

Intel will sell them cheaper eventually.
                By the time Intel drops the price of the I7 considerably enough, AMD will already have a newer, cheaper solution. AMD still beats Intel as best bang for the buck in my book, especially when you compare chipset prices (Motherboards) as well.
                "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Comment

I fully agree with TransformX on bang for buck.
                  Intel is pricing itself way too high.

AMD is the way to go unless your software is optimized for Intel CPU compilers.
                  PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
                  Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
                  +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

Working...
                  X