Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TCP/IP support for DOS bootdisk

Hi Guys,

A question from a friend of mine, so Remco, you can check the answers yourself

Is it possible to have TCP/IP support on a DOS bootdisk, and if so, how?

Jord.
    Jordâ„¢

Yes, if you use Novell's TCP/IP stack which works with their normal DOS VLM drivers. Should be on later Netware CD's or I think downloadable from Novell's site in the client section, but I will check.
    When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

Thanks... and the answer made me think. I forgot to ask him if he needed it for a Novell, UNIX or NT TCP/IP stack.

So the question has just become bigger
      Jordâ„¢

Comment

I have checked Novell's site and they only have the latest drivers which is an 8Mb download, crazy for a DOS/WIN3.1 client.

I have emailed you the files plus instructions so If you want to forward them on and get your friend to try them out.

It is just a bog standard IP stack so it shouldn't matter what type of system is at the other end. It would be handy to know for what purpose he requires it for?
        When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

I think it is to be able to install Windows 95 OSR/2.1 from off the server, with a bare formatted hdd in the PC he boots from.

But I'll ask
          Jordâ„¢

Comment

Okay, I asked him and he needs the Microsoft TCP/IP stack only.

It's supposedly as I said for being able to start a Windows95 OSR/2.1 install from off the server, on a PC that only has a formatted harddrive with nothing else on it.

The DOS bootdisk is to make contact with the server, to install from the CABs there.

Jorden.
            Jordâ„¢

Comment

If he's trying to connect to an NT Server via a boot disk using TCP/IP he's going to be out of luck. NT 4.0 Server comes with clients for DOS and Windows but from what I remember if you select TCP/IP as the protocol the files needed take up more than one disks worth. Your best bet is to select NETBUI as the protocol and add NETBUI as a protocol on the Server. The files it needs will then fit onto one disk. I've used this method before to Ghost PC's from an NT Server.

Comment

Ahh, a tcp/ip boot disk. This is a big pain in the a** to do. I remember doing novell ipx/spx network dos boot disks were REAL easy. I have one done already but you'd have to wait about a week if you wanted me to send it to you. I'm just way too busy until then. I'd have to take out all the hardcoded pw, domain names, etc. Here are some articles to help you out. <a href="http://www.microsoft.com/TechNet/msdos/technote/dosnet.asp">How to Set Up the MS Network Client Version 3.0 for MS-DOS</a> and <a href="http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q142/8/57.asp?LNG=ENG&SA=ALLKB&FR=0">KB Q142857</a>. Or you could ask over at or search <a href="http://www.brainbuzz.com">BrainBuzz</a>

good luck.

[This message has been edited by mj12 (edited 18 February 2000).]
                Asus K7V
                Athlon 700
                128mb PC133 HSDRAM
                Matrox Millennium g400max
                Adaptec 2940U2W
                IBM 9gb U2W
                Plextor 8/20 cdr
                Diamond MX300
                3com 905b-tx

Comment

borrow someone's hard drive, set it as slave, install from that and copy the cabs to your drive when done
                  abit kt7-raid athlon 1ghz quantum 20.4gb - 7200 + wd 200bb - 7200 rpm UDMA100-
                  g400 max-
                  256MB pc133 sdram - sblive value 3.0 - 4 Boston Acoustics A40's - 3com 3c905b-tx - cable access - winME
                  dx7.?- V3 steering wheel/pedals - MS sidewinder PRO
                  Kensiko (Netpointe) scrolling mouse

Comment

LOL Paul, that's another option, but for the hassle of opening up all those PCs, plus it's not possible to install multiple PCs at once

(Or does Remco have to borrow more than one harddrive?? )
                    Jordâ„¢

Comment

HI Jorden and Friends (or whatsoever),

It is nice to see everybody thinking along with me, I have done some research myself, but I haven't figured it out completely myself too.
                      Anywhay, I will notify to you all if I have figured it out.

GR. Freakie

BTW thx Jorden

Comment

If all the PC's are the same ie. use the same hardware, the easiest way to do a bulk roll-out is using a program called Ghost. You setup one PC exactly as you want it, with all the applications installed, and then create an image file of the harddisk which can be saved onto the Server. You would then create a boot disk which logs onto the Server and dumps the images down onto the hard disk. Boot each PC up using that disk and you then have identically configured PC's. Depending on the version of Ghost you are using you can do multiple PC's at a time.

Go to Symantec's site to download an eval copy of Ghost. I've used this method several times to do large rollouts. It supports most OS's including Win9x, NT and Novell!

[This message has been edited by Taz (edited 20 February 2000).]

Comment

Jorden

if the intent is to be able to surf the net in the event of a catastophic problem then the qnx operating system has an all-in-one 1.44" floppy solution. it has a tcp/ip stack with a web browser and mouse support. it is a unix variant but its' easy to use. check them out at http://www.qnx.com/iat/index.html

chucky

[This message has been edited by Chucky Cheese (edited 21 February 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Chucky Cheese (edited 21 February 2000).]

Comment

Working...
                          X