Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wearnes CD-R 622 problems!

Hi!

I recently installed a Wearnes 622 IDE CD-R in my mom's PC, but it isn't running as expected. I produced 3 coasters before I was able to write a complete cd. I'm not trying to write CD's on the fly as I have read that this is practially impossible on IDE devices. So I create an image every time. I have tried several CD-R programs (Nero, Cdrwin etc.) and it seems to me that the problem are hardware or setup related.

Her PC is pretty full, the internal conrollers are configured like this:

Primary master: 10 GB IBM HDD
    Primary slave: 1.2 GB Quantum HDD
    Secondary master: Toshiba DVD-drive
    Secondary slave: Wearnes CD-R

My first thought was to move the Wearnes CD-R to the primary controller as a slave device for the IBM HDD. Or maybe as secondary master? What do you think is the best setup? I you have other comments or suggestions please let me know...

Regards,

Jake

[This message has been edited by Jake (edited 20 February 2000).]
    Who is General Failiure and why is he reading my drive?
    ----------------------
    Powercolor Radeon 9700np, Asus A7N8X mobo bios ver. 1007UBER, AthlonXP2800+@3200+ (200 Mhz fsb, 2.2 Ghz) on TT Silent Storm, 2*256Mb Kingston HyperX PC3500 DDR-RAM, 19" Samsung 959NF monitor, Pioneer A04 DVD-RW, Two WD800 80 GB HDD's, IBM Deskstar 40 GB

Sounds like a DMA problem. Start by turning DMA off on the Wearnes in Device Manager. See what that does. My Toshiba DVD can use DMA just fine, but my old Mitsumi CD-ROM could not. It would lock up or crash if it had DMA on. It looks like each DVD/CD has its own best way - some like DMA and some don't.

RAB
    AMD K6III-450; Epox EP-MVP3G5; G400DH32; Maxtor 10gig UDMA66; 128meg PC100; Aureal SQ2500 sound; PCI Modem Blaster; Linksys 10/100 NIC; Mag 800V 19"; AL ACS54 4 speaker sound; Logitech wireless mouse; Logitech Wingman Extreme (great for lefties)

Comment

I would set the Wearnes as the Secondary Master. I have four IDE devices in my PC, Quantum HD Pri-Master, LS120 drive Pri-Slave, Wearnes 1688 Sec-Master, Pioneer CD-ROM Sec-Slave, all working Ok! Remeber Wearnes rebadge other peoples drives, mine being a Yamaha, so you might get more help if you knew who actually makes your drive.
      When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

Working...
      X