Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My 500@600 MHz Athlon gave me PC-speaker beeps.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My 500@600 MHz Athlon gave me PC-speaker beeps.

I just recieved and installed my new goldenfinger devices

I installed on my :

500 MHz Athlon
    ??? core (probably 500 MHz, old model)
    0.25 micron
    ??? cache.
    Motherboard : K7M

Well, I thought that 600 MHz would be appropriate. The computer did boot, but ones in a while (at no particular event) the pc-speake gave off a little beep (not the same beep every time), that didn't seem right.

Do you know what those beeps mean. I ran it at 1.75 V core, is that right, or could that be what caused the beeps. Or could it be heat (even though it did it right away). I have just a regular Ahtlon single fan cooler. And I know that is probably not adequete in the long run, but shouldn't it result in just instability instead of weird beeping.

I know, "get a temperature probe", and I will, but if you had an answer it would be easier

All help greatly appreciated.

Torben R.
    G400 news, info, downloads and mailinglist : http://TRsDomain.homepage.dk

The K7M does tend to cause beeps now and again due to its hardware monitoring I think, nothing to worry about - mine beeps too.

Either live with it, disconnect the speaker or disable the montorring in the bios.

Comment

Yes, you probably want to ignore the core voltage in the BIOS setup. It is not intuitively obvious how to do it. It has a page with all kinds of nice printouts of the voltages of various components. Select one and you can change it to "Ignore". It would be nice if you could set it to ignore as far as monitoring and beeping, but be able to see what voltages your p/s is putting out when you are in the bios. Oh well, it is just a minor thing.

Comment

Found the problem, the core voltage was to high. Turned it down to 1.65 and the beeping disappeared, maybe you should try the same Guardian, to high V-core settings are said to be one the major CPU killers.
        So I won't be turning of my PC-speaker, thanks anyway.

Torben R.
        G400 news, info, downloads and mailinglist : http://TRsDomain.homepage.dk

Comment

Working...
        X