Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ReRAM

Let's see RAMBUS try to patent this

As students we all learned the 3 basic components: resistor, capacitor and inductor. In the 1970's the theoretical basis for a fourth arose, the memristor, but it wasn't actually demonstrated until 2008.

Today HP announced they are teaming with Korea's Hynix to produce ReRAM, a non-volatile memory device based on the memristor. Memristors are very interesting, and fast, little devils that work more like our brains synapses than conventional memory.

Advantages: stores much more using far less energy, doesn't lose charge, is stackable and is extremely radiation resistant. What's not to like? This is going to make for enormous memory cards in all applications, plus being radiation hard will get rid of one major worry from ionizing radiation. Lots of space based applications too.

HP says 3-5 years.

CNET is the world's leader in tech product reviews, news, prices, videos, forums, how-tos and more.
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 31 August 2010, 17:49.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

I'll add it to the pile of NV RAM revolutions that will probably never happen:

ReRAM
    MRAM
    PRAM
    RRAM
    CBRAM...

...and so forth.
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

The others are expensive and/or hard to fab. Memristors are relatively cheap, the first ones used titanium dioxide - the pigment in white paint, and are simple in construction.
      Dr. Mordrid
      ----------------------------
      An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Lots of others new NVRAM types have made that claim too When I see parts with ReRAM coming out I'll believe it.
        “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
        –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid View Post
          Let's see RAMBUS try to patent this
          Those bastards will probably just say that since it's a RAM type of device it is violating their patents
          If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Working...
          X