X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• aerobatic pilot loses wing...

...saved by parachute landing him and plane gently on ground:

FT.

A huge bit of free and future advertising for (likely) BRS Aerospace....

Bluehost - Top rated web hosting provider - Free 1 click installs For blogs, shopping carts, and more. Get a free domain name, real NON-outsourced 24/7 support, and superior speed. web hosting provider php hosting cheap web hosting, Web hosting, domain names, front page hosting, email hosting. We offer affordable hosting, web hosting provider business web hosting, ecommerce hosting, unix hosting. Phone support available, Free Domain, and Free Setup.

Last April, an instrument-rated private pilot took off from Fort Lauderdale Executive Airport in his SR22 bound for Palm Beach International. It was solid IFR, 400 overcast. The pilot was experienced in Cirrus airplanes-he was a founder of the Cirrus Owners and Pilots Association-he regularly flew such IFR flights, and he knew his airplane well. … Continued
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

I have always wondered why airplanes did not have parachutes.
      If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

For a stunt plane like that, or a small personal plane, it's a feasible idea. For a commercial grade craft a large enough parachute would weigh too much to "justify the cost". You'd burn millions of kg's of fuel and lose a ton of cargo space for a device that may never be deployed. That and a large plane could break apart from the sudden deceleration caused by a parachute.
        “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
        –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Originally posted by Jammrock View Post
          For a stunt plane like that, or a small personal plane, it's a feasible idea. For a commercial grade craft a large enough parachute would weigh too much to "justify the cost". You'd burn millions of kg's of fuel and lose a ton of cargo space for a device that may never be deployed...
          And the failure rate of parachutes is probably higher than that of commercial aircraft.
          Chuck
          秋音的爸爸

Comment

For the record: ballistic parachute systems are FAA approved and quite reliable. Unlike the passive deployment of a 'normal' parachute & drogue they are shot clear of the aircraft by a small solid fuel rocket then deployed to prevent entanglement. FAA did, however, issue a bulletin in 2004 to first responders on the handling of un-deployed units when responding to a crash.
            Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 22 August 2010, 17:22.
            Dr. Mordrid
            ----------------------------
            An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Working...
            X