Multiple CPUs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multiple CPUs

Do all version of windows 7 support multiple core CPUs? Is there a chart that shows this. A friend of mine is building a system and ask me this question and I couldn't say with any degree of certainty that they do...my natural inclination says they do but....

cc

OK, I went through this hassle a few months ago when I upgraded from Vista 64 to Windows 7 64bit.

here's the deal...

1-Single CPU - two or more cores is supported by Windows 7 home and up

2-Dual CPU - only supported by Windows 7 Professional and Ultra

Yes there is a chart on the Microsoft website, but it is not advertised clearly.

hope this helps.

Comment

And may I put in a word for the i7......
      Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 19 August 2010, 13:12.
      Dr. Mordrid
      ----------------------------
      An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

I second and third Doc's suggestion!

Comment

Memory limitations:

Describes the memory limits for supported Windows and Windows Server releases and provides lists of memory limits.

Processor limitations:

PCs with multi-core processors:

Windows 7 was designed to work with today's multi-core processors. All 32-bit versions of Windows 7 can support up to 32 processor cores, while 64‑bit versions can support up to 256 processor cores.

PCs with multiple processors (CPUs):

Commercial servers, workstations, and other high-end PCs may have more than one physical processor. Windows 7 Professional, Enterprise, and Ultimate allow for two physical processors, providing the best performance on these computers. Windows 7 Starter, Home Basic, and Home Premium will recognize only one physical processor.
          In sum, home and under is one physical processor with (basically) unlimited cores. Pro and up support two processor sockets with (basically) unlimited cores.

My next proc will be an i7...or whatever it's called by the time I actually upgrade.
          “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
          –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Thanks Everyone

Got it! Thanks

So really it is multiple CPUs that are limited by versions not CORES. Win 7 Home Premium is the OS. My only point of concern now is MB to Video Card pairing, I always become doubtful when helping someone else as to whether everything will work together as advertised, soooo...with being said;

Potentially here is what we are going for...

MB: Gigabyte x58A - UD3R - USB 3.0
            CPU: Intel Core i7-930
            RAM: OCZ DDR-3 1600 xMP Edition (6gb)
            Diamond Radeon HD 5850 Video Card
            ANTEC - CP 850w Power Supply

cc

Comment

1 GB video memory is pretty standard these days. Larger video memory allows high-resolution textures to be stored on board, which is especially needed at high resolution (1080p and up type of stuff).

Unless you are going CrossFire in the future you don't need 850W. Using an overpowered PSU reduces the efficiency of the PSU and you end up wasting a lot of power.

Radeon HD 5850 = 170W max (http://www.madshrimps.be/vbulletin/f...summary-66340/)
              Intel Core i7-930 = 130W max (http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=41447)
              x58 chipset = 24W max (http://ark.intel.com/chipset.aspx?familyID=36776)
              RAM and misc power usage = ~50W

Total Max Power Consumption ~= 375W

You want to leave some overhead though. You should buy a PSU where the max PC power usage is about 80%-85% of the power rating of the PSU. In your case a 500W PSU is what you need.

If you plan on going CrossFire (multipl GPUs) then that's a different story. With two 5850's you need about 650W and with three 5850's you need about 900W.
              “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
              –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Great

Thanks Jammrock, there will be 2 HDDs, 1Bluray Drive and the all powerful floppy drive. For some reason I cannot get this person off of it...they are "old fashion".

Plus I am trying to talk this person into one of the cooler master HAF series of cases. My work continues.

cc

Comment

Preparing to build a rig based on the 6-core i7 980X Extreme Edition, an ASUS P6X58D Premium (X58), XFX HD-585X-ZAFC (Radeon HD 5850) w/1GB and 12 gigs of Corsair Dominator DDR3 1600. Corsair CMPSU-650tx 650w p/s. Win7 Pro 64 bit and at least 6T of storage, 4T of it in a RAID5.

Should be fun.
                  Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 20 August 2010, 01:47.
                  Dr. Mordrid
                  ----------------------------
                  An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Me too, I'm in the process of purchasing and building the following...

1-SuperMicro dual XEON 5520 motherboard
                    2-24GB ECC ram
                    3-Nvidia GTX480 with 1 or more GB ram
                    4-Four 1.5 or 2 TB western digital caviar black drives in raid 0 for audio/video editing
                    5-1TB western digital caviar black drive as boot drive
                    6-Pioneer blu-ray burner
                    7-A mid sized tower still trying to find one with great cooling abilities
                    8-Windows 7 64bit Pro
                    9-1000 WATT power supply

Should have it ready in a month or so.

Comment

SATA II Backplanes

Those sound like nice systems!

When building systems like those do you guys install units like these ? I am just curious about reliability for things like those in a "residential environment", and any personal experience. Also if there are SATA III enclosures on the way?

cc

Last edited by Chucky Cheese; 20 August 2010, 02:06.

Comment

Originally posted by Elie View Post
                        Me too, I'm in the process of purchasing and building the following...
                        3-Nvidia GTX480 with 1 or more GB ram
                        7-A mid sized tower still trying to find one with great cooling abilities
                        A GTX480 is Hot and Noisy, and in a small case will not live very long.

Why not go dual GTX460's ?
                        The performance should be comparable, if not better than the GTX480, it should consume less wattage, and be cooler and quieter. win win win

I'd only go the GF100 route if the software only functioned on a Fermi GF100 aka GTX480/470/465.
                        PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
                        Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
                        +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

Originally posted by Chucky Cheese View Post
                          Those sound like nice systems!

When building systems like those do you guys install units like these ? I am just curious about reliability for things like those in a "residential environment", and any personal experience. Also if there are SATA III enclosures on the way?

cc

I am going to be putting one in my next system, but it will be 2.5" drive based.
                          Just looking for a relatively fast "scratch" drive for video and stuff.
                          4x250Gb+ in stripe.

The connectors won't be changing between SATAII and III, so unless the cables are better shielded or anything, I can't see why the cases couldn't be certified SATAIII, since they are just hotswap bays, with no electronics apart from power and Physical SATA interface, that would act like an extension cable for the Internal SATA connectors, so no chips or whatever to go through.
                          PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
                          Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
                          +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

Sata Iii

Thanks Evildead666,

I was wondering about that point(..connectors). The controller though would have to be certified as SATA III. When do you think those chips will start showing up on MBs ?

cc

Comment

Originally posted by Evildead666 View Post
                              A GTX480 is Hot and Noisy, and in a small case will not live very long.

Why not go dual GTX460's ?
                              The performance should be comparable, if not better than the GTX480, it should consume less wattage, and be cooler and quieter. win win win

I'd only go the GF100 route if the software only functioned on a Fermi GF100 aka GTX480/470/465.
                              Yes you may be right, however the only cards that are supported for Adobe's Mercury engine playback are the ones on this site and soon to come others as well...

No SLI support unfortunately.

Comment

Working...
                              X