Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aviation Week: SpaceX getting the best/most entrepreneurial grads

Aviation Week article.....

cc: Congress and the no-birds, esp. Sen. Shelby etc.

Aerospace Must Revive Its Spirit

On June 4, Falcon 9 achieved orbit, and I won a number of bets. In most cases, the people I bet against were predicting failure for reasons related to SpaceX’s lack of experience and heritage hardware. The young crew at the heart of SpaceX, and their leader, Elon Musk, sure don’t look like their peers at Lockheed Martin, Boeing or Orbital Sciences! They do lack experience and definitely lack heritage hardware. Yet, I won my bets because I strongly believe there are things more important than experience and heritage, such as an entrepreneurial culture and talent. And this is where SpaceX is currently head and shoulders above its competitors.

I helped build and run one of the U.S.’s leading space engineering graduate programs at the University of Michigan, home of the nation’s first collegiate aeronautics program with graduates such as Clarence “Kelly” Johnson, astronaut James McDivitt and many leaders of the U.S. aerospace industry. And each year, we see hundreds of Michigan students enter the aerospace workforce—young people who aspire to make a mark, just like these heroes before them.

I recently performed an analysis of the very best students in my space engineering programs over the past decade, based on their scholarly, leadership and entrepreneurial performance at Michigan. To my amazement, I found that of my top 10 students, five work at SpaceX. No other company or lab has attracted more than two of these top students.

I also noticed that SpaceX recruited only two of them directly from the university. The others were drawn to the company after some years of experience elsewhere—joining SpaceX despite lower salaries and longer work hours. Why do they leave successful jobs in big companies to join a risky space startup? A former student told me, “This is a place where I am the limiting factor, not my work environment.” At SpaceX, he considers himself to be in an entrepreneurial environment in which great young people collaborate to do amazing things. He never felt like this in his previous job with an aerospace company.

My colleagues in universities around the U.S. say they have had similar experiences. SpaceX is winning the battle for the best and most entrepreneurial young talent in the aerospace industry. And with this talent, SpaceX has built a work environment that is very different from those at most aerospace companies, one that values people with an entrepreneurial mind-set. Musk says the company is continuing to look for people who think and act like entrepreneurs. In fact, he considers this entrepreneurial mind-set to be even more important than the smarts of his new employees, opposing the more traditional hiring practices of his competitors.

McDivitt recently spoke about the culture during the early days of NASA and the Apollo program. He said, “The key difference between NASA then and now are the parking lots at night!” McDivitt was talking about the personal dedication, commitment and perseverance of the early NASA employees and contractors, which led to one of the U.S.’s biggest successes.

Today, the SpaceX parking lots are full at night, not because people are forced to put in extra hours, but just like at the early NASA, SpaceX is working in young teams, on the toughest challenges, and realizing that risk is an important aspect of any entrepreneurial activity. That’s why SpaceX attracts the best of the best to join its team.

I was a bit nervous about betting on the immediate success of Falcon 9. Entrepreneurs focused on tough problems can also fail. But in the long run, talent wins over experience and an entrepreneurial culture over heritage. Aerospace companies should think carefully about the challenges they offer their young employees. Too often, this environment is poisoned by bureaucracy, government rules, acquisition regulations and a morbid fear of failure that penetrates the entire enterprise. SpaceX will have to protect its entrepreneurial environment and its talent from those forces as it grows older.

At Michigan, I see the growing entrepreneurial interest and success of students and their innovations. In my experience, aerospace engineers are more likely to show interest in entrepreneurship, win competitions or even become more entrepreneurial themselves than their peers in other fields. But few can live out these aspirations within aerospace.

I hope entrepreneurial successes, such as the ones at SpaceX, will start to define a new image for an industry that often believes its most important achievements are in the past. We need to create an entrepreneurial environment to attract top talent and once again shoot for the stars!
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 16 August 2010, 12:34.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps
Working...
X