Maxtor 11.5gb DMA trouble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maxtor 11.5gb DMA trouble

Hi there. I cant force my maxtor (11.5 Gb, 5400, 6 months old) to work with DMA checked. After windows restart it boots very slowly and after few seconds of extremely slow work windows hangs. I have 3 years old CD, teac, who works with DMA turned on perfectly. I have no conflicts, I tried to reduce FSB back to 66 but its the same. If someone knows what to do please post it. My computer has win 98 se, asus P2B, teac cd 524 (24x), Celery 400 o.c. to 450, 96 MB, Live, G400 16 Mb, Isa modem 33600 (noname).

Try reversing the DMA parameters, turning off the CDROM DMA and turning on the HD DMA.

Are the two drives on the same IDE channel? If so, try placing them both as masters on different channels.

Try removing the CDROM from the system altogether (at least electrically). See if the HD will work correctly then.

[This message has been edited by Brian R. (edited 17 February 2000).]

Comment

Thanks for answering. I tried to turn off cd rom and turn on hard DMA. It did not help.
      Hard is set to master and on his own IDE cable, same as CD (IDE2, master, own cable).
      I plug off cables from CD and then tried, it didnt help either. More ideas?

Comment

Try going into your MB setup parameters at boot-up and setting all parameters to default.

Try replacing the HD IDE cable (or switching cables with the CDROM).

Was your HD formatted and partitioned in the computer you are using it in? or was it moved from a different computer. If moved, you may need to repartition and format.

If you are able without too much trouble, try reinstalling Windows after a HD format.

[This message has been edited by Brian R. (edited 17 February 2000).]

Comment

Also some IDE drives just don't work well with others, you may be sol
          [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
          Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
          Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
          Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
          Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

sasa, that's odd. can you try the HD in another pc? I just picked up a Maxtor 7200 13.6 and can't believe howq much faster it is than the caviars (3) I've had @ 5400.

Can you boot safe mode? windows could be trashed. I've re-installed windows 98 3-4 times, it remembers what it should and forgets the rest

------------------
            k6-3 450 @500 - tyan 1590s bios 1.16b - maxtor diamondmax plus 13.6GB - 7200 rpm- g200 mill sgram w/8mb upgrade & bios 2.6-20 PD 5.41 (DISABLED) - AGP1x (NOT MY CHOICE) - 128MB 10ns sdram - sblive value 3.0 - 4 Boston Acoustics A40's - 3com 3c905b-tx - cable access - d-link PCI for the 3com CMX cable modem - win98SE ICS
            dx7.0a - V3 steering wheel/pedals - MS sidewinder PRO
            Kensiko (Netpointe) scrolling mouse

abit kt7-raid athlon 1ghz quantum 20.4gb - 7200 + wd 200bb - 7200 rpm UDMA100-
            g400 max-
            256MB pc133 sdram - sblive value 3.0 - 4 Boston Acoustics A40's - 3com 3c905b-tx - cable access - winME
            dx7.?- V3 steering wheel/pedals - MS sidewinder PRO

Comment

I bought and partitioned hdd in this computer. First I made 3 partitons (1,0.3,9+ GB), later I used partiton magic and now I have 2 partitons. Problem was before same as now. Both partition are FAT 32. On my second partiton I have image of first one with windows (ghost) so if needed I can format and reinstall windows in 8 minutes. I also tried to do DMA on completly fresh windows with no drivers at all. After trying to do DMA windows get corrupted, and I am forced to do image copy. Now is getting rather late so ill try tommorow to switch the cables. Almost forgot to mention-before maxtor I had IBM 6.4 5400 and I had same trouble. But with IBM I had another P2B. I had malfunction in MB so now I have newer revision of P2B. I cant believe that such good and famous company as ASUS has DMA problems? Or I am maybe wrong?
              During weekend Ill try my hdd in some other computer. Ill keep you posted. Thanks for help.

Comment

Are you talking about your BIOS or w98?
                If it's your BIOS, goto to 'IDE auto detect' or similar named screen and accept the drive.
                re-boot into BIOS again, goto manual configuration and if it's not showing enabled, check it. The ASUS dld area is out, do you have the manual?
                abit kt7-raid athlon 1ghz quantum 20.4gb - 7200 + wd 200bb - 7200 rpm UDMA100-
                g400 max-
                256MB pc133 sdram - sblive value 3.0 - 4 Boston Acoustics A40's - 3com 3c905b-tx - cable access - winME
                dx7.?- V3 steering wheel/pedals - MS sidewinder PRO

Comment

I just solved the problem. I did two things at the same time: load bios default, and I changed cables. I believe cable change solve the issue because I returned my previous bios setting. Sisoft sandra hdd benchmark went up from 5300 to 6900 (second partition, 9.74 Gb,3.44 Gb free. Funny thing is that CD still works properly with DMA turned on.
                  Thanks for helping.
                  Speaking of maxtor, I would like to know how much faster is your 7200 13,5 Gb hdd. If this is not to much trouble to you Paul please post sandra benchmark results.

Comment

Working...
                  X