Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 10.04 spanks Windows 7 silly?

Workstation Benchmarks: Windows 7 vs. Ubuntu Linux
    Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
    "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Originally posted by TransformX View Post
    Workstation Benchmarks: Windows 7 vs. Ubuntu Linux
    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag..._win7_ws&num=1
    that's a really extensive test (not)!

I think there's something seriously wrong with OpenSSL's code on the windows platform. Performance should be nearly identical between the two OSes in this cpu-bound application.

As far as I/O performance I wouldn't be surprised if linux performed better, but I'd like to know the details about cache (memory) management in this test and the influence on the performance.

edit: a quote from the comments page
    I just registered to say that the article is dead wrong. IOzone needs Cygwin under Windows (it uses mmap() and pthreads), which is an emulation layer. Benchmarks should never be done with emulation of any sort.

Try running a file system benchmarking software that's native to Windows. Use Wine under Linux and see what happens..
    And we have quote #2

Originally Posted by cruiseoveride I think there might be something wrong with the openssl rsa-4096bit test. Isnt it a very cpu intensive task? How would the results vary so much between operating systems?

The reason is the build openSSL micheal is using in PTS.

Win32OpenSSL_Light-1_0_0a.exe which is the 32-bit version built virtually no optimizations.

For a fair comparison PTS should have used the 64-build which does carry SSE optimizations and such.
    Last edited by dZeus; 5 August 2010, 02:31.

Comment

Working...
    X