Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interweb, router and switch

Hi all,

I'm currently working in our new house and, amongst everything else that needs to be doen, getting UTP cables to various locations. I expect at least eight devices to be connected by cable.

Now my router only has four gb-ports and I can't find (wireless) routers with more. I wonder whether I could/should use a switch and if that would somehow limit the functionality of the devices I'll be attaching to it. Simply no clue. Any tips/hints/insights?

Cheers,
    Umf.
    Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
    [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

i have two Netgear GS108T under a Linksys RVS4000 that i use as a backbone in my house. Also have a Linksys WAP4400N for wireless. Moving 1-2 HD streams, 1-2 VPNs, and 2 kids on the net without issues. Just make sure you get full non blocking gigabit switches and high bandwidth router. If you have some dedicated traffic paths, you can consider VLAN, but i haven't had the need.

Comment

I'm cheap so I'm using wired LevelOne router as aditional switch but I'd get a procurve Gb switch - they have a cable from outlet to power supply - if it was a top priority in my current IT budget.

Comment

I'm a network designer, here's something i drafted up quickly

Hope this helps
        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
        X