Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Dumps ATA

Intel Dumps ATA
    Intel and six partners want to replace your aging ATA drive interface with a faster one . The new interface busts open the bottleneck restricting hard drives and scales to six times current ATA transfer speeds.
    The new interface, known as Serial ATA, pumps out 1.6Gbps contrasted to ATA/66 which is little over 0.5Gbs at maximum throughput. Serial ATA expects to scale to 6Gbps and will demo this fall. Expect to see it in desktops and entry-level RAID servers.
    Apart from the speed increases, the most significant improvement is cable design. Serial ATA reduces the number of pins from the required 24 to four pins. The thinner cabling is expected to lower costs slightly, also.
    Serial ATA disregards royalty licenses similar to IEEE 1394 which should speed adoption within the industry.
    The major companies allied with Intel are Dell, IBM, Maxtor, Quantum and Seagate

What do you think?

The fastest ATA hardrives available do not even come close to the 66mb/s of the current standard. IMHO, I would not be too concerned about peak theoritical numbers.

------------------
    Celeron 366@567 2.2V, 128meg generic PC-100 RAM (running at CAS2) Abit BH6, G400 16meg DH@150/200, Western Digital Expert 18gig, Ricoh mp7040A(morphed to mp7060A) Pioneer 6X DVD slot load, Motorola Cable Modem w/DEC ethernet card, Soundblaster Live Value Ver. 2, Viewsonic GT 775

Celeron 566@877 1.8V, 256meg generic PC-100 RAM (running at CAS2) Abit BH6, G400 16meg DH@150/200, Western Digital Expert 18gig, Ricoh mp7040A(morphed to mp7060A) Pioneer 6X DVD slot load, Motorola Cable Modem w/DEC ethernet card, Soundblaster Live Value Ver. 2, Viewsonic GT 775

Comment

Really, what a waste! Until they can come out with a HD that pumps out 10-100x more data those peak specs are a waste. This will only lead to forcing us to replace current technology with another, that'll show limited performance benifits IMO. Intel just loves that serial crap... from Rambust and now to this... I can hear that sucking sound now!
      "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Yes, but no more master/slave configuration hasles (hey how often have we seen this happen to people). No more 2 device per IRQ/chanel. Devices talk direct to the CPU/chipset/memory. And remember thats the bandwidth of the bus, not just for one device; stream a video on/off a drive, while burning a CR from a nother drive, and that bandwidth can be put to use, try it width todays drives (no SCSI), and you can easily have a problem at the drives fight for attention.
        Hey I guess I just think it's a better idea, who's time is due. If the cost is cometative (as it's supposed to be) I cant wait.
        Check out Anand's site for more info on the bus. I think its on IDF#2.
        http://www.anandtech.com

Mark F.

------------------
        OH NO, my retractable cup holder swallowed a DVD...
        and burped out a movie

OK here the direct link:
        http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=1174

[This message has been edited by Mark F (edited 18 February 2000).]
        Mark F. (A+, Network+, & CCNA)
        --------------------------------------------------
        OH NO, my retractable cup holder swallowed a DVD...
        and burped out a movie

Comment

Working...
        X