W2000 only for those with Internet!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• W2000 only for those with Internet!

MS latest great idea to stop pirate's is to program W2000 to stop working after the 50 reboot if it is not registred at MS site.

------------------
    INTEL PIII550 MSI 6163
    G400Mill 32MB SGRAM + RRG
    SBlive
    128 MB RAM CAS2
    19GB HDD Space! (6.4+13 quantum drives)
    Pioneer 104S DVD 10x CD 40x SLOT IN
    SONY CRX100E 4/2/24 CDRW

If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

I had heard they were going to do that with Office 2k, but they never did. Don't think they actually did it with Win2k, it was just an idea.

And even if they do, there will be a crack for it within a week of Win2k's release.

Jammrock

------------------
    My computer was working great until my brand new "top-of-the-line" power supply committed ritual suicide, after only 24 hours of use, and took out 2 motherboard (mine and a test board), 2 hard drives and possibly more...a moment of silence please, in rememberance of a valiant computer that served me well.

Sorry, had to vent.

“Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Sorry to say so but this is not a rumor i heard.

My boss got that info from the retailer we buy w2k from.
      I realy hope that they don't know what they are talking about and are mixing it with office 2k.

Othervise it's;
      "Big brother is wathing you" and will forever mailbomb you with shit from MS.

When i bought W95 i actualy registred, and MS snailbombed me every month for a two year period.

------------------
      INTEL PIII550 MSI 6163
      G400Mill 32MB SGRAM + RRG
      SBlive
      128 MB RAM CAS2
      19GB HDD Space! (6.4+13 quantum drives)
      Pioneer 104S DVD 10x CD 40x SLOT IN
      SONY CRX100E 4/2/24 CDRW

If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Not to defend MS... But they lose a few BILLION to counterfeits. What would you do?
        Thats Billions....

Comment

What would I do.....Make a product worth pirating! And before you get your panties all tied up LAMFDTK its a joke!...or is it.
          Asus K7V
          Athlon 700
          128mb PC133 HSDRAM
          Matrox Millennium g400max
          Adaptec 2940U2W
          IBM 9gb U2W
          Plextor 8/20 cdr
          Diamond MX300
          3com 905b-tx

Comment

LAMFDTK,

First off, I'd lower the price - you lower the price, more people will buy it. Second, I'd make it so that the units cannot be counterfeited - ie - You install it, call an 800 number, enter the code on the book, and get an activation code to enter into the system. It would be automated and up 24x7 with human backup should the automation fail.

3rd, I'd say, if you had one that was counterfeit, I'd ask for the name and number of the vendor that you bought it from, if you give that information we'll authorize a coupon for a legitimate package. Then we go up the supply chain. After talking to the vendor and finding out where they got the product, and move on up. If at any point the people/vendors are not cooperative, I nail them to the friggin wall for the full punishment allowable by law - every person working for the vendor would be liable by association - hey sorry boys, you worked there, you should have known... blah-blah-blah 5,10,15,20 years in prison not to mention a few million in fines, stores going bankrupt, no-ones gonna buy gray market - no-ones gonna be able to use gray market....

Yeah, someone may be able to figure out the codes and come up with a way around it, so instead of a regular encryption scheme, you use a time based encryption code with randomly rotating time zones... (I know that's gonna take a lot to decrypt - but no one out there's got the horse power to decode the bloody thing)

Anyway, once it's out that it's not profitable by any means to sell counterfeited goods.... Eh- no more pirating, and lowered prices again due to increased volumes in sales...

Strict control on codes printed in manuals - if lots were stolen, the codes would be deactivated..
            Gaming Rig.

- Gigabyte GA-7N400-Pro
            - AMD Athlon 3200+ XP
            - 1.5GB Dual Channel DDR 433Mhz SDRAM
            - 6.1 Digital Audio
            - Gigabit Lan (Linksys 1032)
            - 4 x 120GB SATA Drives, RAID 0+1 (Striped/Mirrored)
            - Sony DRU-500A DVD/+/-/R/RW
            - Creative 8x DVD-ROM
            - LS120 IDE Floppy
            - Zip 100 IDE
            - PNY Ultra 5900 (256MB)
            - NEC FE950
            - DTT2500 Cambridge Soundworks

Comment

Just to put your post into perspective technoid, the retailer that my boss used to get our motherboards from thought that MSI motherboards were a good investment. They expecially loved those modem risers.We don't buy from them anymore

Retailers tell you whatever they can when there is a chance to sell you something. Especially when they can sense that the prospective customer knows very little.

We've been running 2195 for over 4 weeks at work. Each machine is powered down at least 3 times a day. You do the math.

I'm yet to meet a person who works in computer sales that actually knows what they are talking about.

Comment

panties all tied ?

Comment

Did I post that?

Guyv - Must have been my dark side....
                  Gaming Rig.

- Gigabyte GA-7N400-Pro
                  - AMD Athlon 3200+ XP
                  - 1.5GB Dual Channel DDR 433Mhz SDRAM
                  - 6.1 Digital Audio
                  - Gigabit Lan (Linksys 1032)
                  - 4 x 120GB SATA Drives, RAID 0+1 (Striped/Mirrored)
                  - Sony DRU-500A DVD/+/-/R/RW
                  - Creative 8x DVD-ROM
                  - LS120 IDE Floppy
                  - Zip 100 IDE
                  - PNY Ultra 5900 (256MB)
                  - NEC FE950
                  - DTT2500 Cambridge Soundworks

Comment

A little off topic, but how much is W2k on the western side of the atlantic?

If it's alot different then I might get it from over there.

The 50 times reboot thing wouldn't be too much of a problem anyway, the only reason i power down 98 is cos it needs to release resources used by programs that i closed 3 hours ago. W2k is supposed to be alot better so i will leave it switched on. I have also heard from another site (www.cdfreaks.com) that the registration process, which would be compulsary, will only ask for the country that you come from not your full address.

Of course you could always give them someone else's address
                    1st system

Athlon AXIA Y 1Ghz @ 1.40Ghz, coolermaster hsf, Elite K7s6a, 512 MB Crucial DDR RAM, 20GB IBM 7200RPM Hard drive, Radeon 8500le 64mb, SB Audigy, 3 com 10/100NIC, 300w PSU, midi tower, FPS 1600 Surround, Belinea 17" monitor, Intellimouse explorer USB

System 2

Athlon TB 1.4 @ 1.5, Zalman Flower in silent mode, Elite K7S6A, 768MB DDRAM, Ati Radeon 8500le 64mb ddr, SB Audigy, 3Com 10/100NIC, 80GB IBM 7200rpm, Liteon 16 speed DVD, Lite-on 24102b CDRW, Songcheer Superwide, USB scanner, Intellimouse explorer, Microsoft keyboard, 19in iiyama Monitor, FPS1600

system 3
                    Abit ST6 RAID, Celly 1.2 @1.4 ,512MB SDRAM, Zalman Flower HSF noisey mode, ATi Radeon 8500le, SBLIVE, 3com 10/100 NIC, 80GB Seagate barracude HDD, 40GB IBM120GXP, 60GB IBM60GXP,Extra highpoint controller card, 16x Pioneer DVD, Pioneer DVR-104 DVD-RW, ATX Full tower case. 300w psu, 17in LG monitor, 20in Samsumg telly, epson stylus colour 880, 200W RMS Surround sound amp with Mission M71 Speakers.

System 4
                    Elite K7S5A, Duron 1.0, 128mb sdram, Coolermaster hsf, 80GB 120GXP IBM, Liteon 16x DVD, Radeon 7200 64MB DDR, SBLIVE.

Linksys 4 port router/firewall

512k Cable modem. nice

Comment

Working...
                    X