SpaceX Falcon 9/flight 2: COTS-1 mission

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SpaceX Falcon 9/flight 2: COTS-1 mission

SpaceX is preparing the COTS-1 mission for launch sometime later this summer, provisionally set for late August or early September. Yesterday a big part of this preparation occurred with a successful 40 second test burn of the COTS-1 first stage at SpaceX's Texas test facility;

(watch full screen for best effect - shot by civilians near the test site)

This 40 second burn was a departure from the original schedule which called for a 10 second burn last Thursday and a 30 second burn this week. Seems they're getting more and more confident after the success of Falcon 9/flight 1 June 4 - as in being very sure of their vehicle and their knowledge of its performance.

COTS-1 will be the first flight of a fully mission capable cargo version of their Dragon spacecrafts ability to resupply the International Space Station, for which SpaceX has a $1.6 billion contract with NASA. This mission calls for 5 orbits, testing of Dragon's orbital maneuvering systems, comms, telemetry, re-entry, parachutes and spashdown in the Pacific off the California coast.

IF this mission goes well there were originally supposed to be two others: COTS-2 for a longer flight and near-approach to the ISS, and COTS-3 which would dock at the ISS and deliver a non-critical cargo.

I say 'originally' because if COTS-1 goes well COTS-2 may be cleared to perform both its mission and that of COTS-3, accelerating the schedule considerably and basically leaving the other commercial spacecraft companies in the dust.

Once the COTS tests are done and cargo missions commence you can bet your bippy work on the remaining pieces of a manned Dragon will accelerate: some life support parts, the launch abort system, seating etc. No need to "man rate" it or the Falcon 9 since both were designed for manned flights from day one.
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 28 June 2010, 17:17.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

The F9-COTS1 first stage was put through a 90 second test fire and all's looking well. Similar to last years "noise event" a temperature inversion occurred over the surrounding area, which means it rattled everything/everyone for at least 20 miles around McGregor

2nd stage is also at the test site, but no word on if it's been fired yet.

Earliest launch: Aug 26th
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 9 July 2010, 00:44.
    Dr. Mordrid

Comment

From SpaceFlight Now

Sept. 9

Falcon 9/Dragon C1

Launch window: TBD

Launch site: SLC-40, Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Florida

The SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket will launch the first active Dragon spacecraft, called Dragon C1. The mission will demonstrate the capabilities of the Dragon in a four-and-a-half hour test flight named COTS 1. The company is building the Dragon to fly on resupply missions to the International Space Station.

IF
      COTS-1 goes well SpaceX is lobbying NASA to let them combine COTS-2 and COTS-3, allowing routine cargo deliveries to begin ahead of the current schedule.

Mission - Year - Duration

COTS-1 2010 5 hours

Launch and separate from Falcon 9, orbit Earth, transmit telemetry, receive commands, demonstrate orbital maneuvering and thermal control, re-enter atmosphere, and recover Dragon spacecraft

COTS-2 2011 5 days

ISS Fly-by. Dragon will approach to within 10 km of ISS and exercise the radio cross-link, demonstrating the ability of ISS crew to receive telemetry from Dragon and their ability to send a command to the spacecraft. After this primary objective is completed, Dragon will leave the vicinity of ISS and perform a comprehensive set of in-space check-outs before returning to earth.

COTS-3 2011 3 days

Full cargo mission profile including mate to ISS
      Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 15 July 2010, 16:51.
      Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Working...
      X