Armadillo Aerospace rocket test video

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Armadillo Aerospace rocket test video

A four pane view of the boosted hop flight on June 5th, 2010 of the Mod vehicle with engine shutdown, drogue deployment, engine restart, safe landing.Video c...

The test shows one of their rockets, which are being designed for vertical takeoff and vertical landing, lifting off then shutting its engines down. As it begins to lose stability a drogue 'chute deploys then is cut loose. The rocket then re-fires its engine, re-stabilizes itself and descends for a pinpoint landing under autonomous control. It even hit its launch pad just a few feet off dead center .

Quite impressive, and intended for manned launches and asteroid/moon and planetary landers and rovers. NASA is interested in the flight stabilization systems both from Armadillo Aerospace and Masten Space Systems, but a few days ago Armadillo 'recruited' one of Masten's top engineers so....

Armadillo also has signed a deal with Space Adventures, the outfit that booked tourist Soyuz flights to the ISS.

Masten Space Systems designs, builds, tests and operates reusable launch vehicles. Reusable launch vehicles will enable an increase in flight rate, drive down the cost of space access, and allow more people to reach space.
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 12 June 2010, 20:22.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

That was a really cool video

A bit of small hard landing, but i suspect there is no suspension for the final ground contact...
    PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
    Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
    +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

Working...
    X