Aliens vs Predator Benchmark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aliens vs Predator Benchmark

When you run the benchmark, you will see it go through a few scenes, and then like me, you will be baffled by the complete lack of benchmark figures.....

Then you might read the readme in the installation folder, that states that the results are stored in your "My Documents" folder....3 hours later.

anyway, my results at 940/5000 on 10.4 drivers (just about to install the 10.5) :

AvP D3D11 Benchmark Report
    ==========================

* Report Created: 2010-05-29 @ 00:54:25
    * Executable Build: V1.03, Apr 19 2010

*DX11 Hardware Detected*

Using Default Video Settings:

Resolution: 1680 x 1050
    Texture Quality: 2
    Shadow Quality: 3
    Anisotropic Filtering: 16
    SSAO: ON
    Vertical Sync: OFF
    DX11 Tessellation: ON
    DX11 Advanced Shadows: ON
    DX11 MSAA Samples: 1

Benchmark Summary:

Number of frames: 6624
    Average Frame Time: 15.8ms
    Average FPS: 63.1

Edit : This was done on an Asus X38 mobo, Intel Q9450@3.5GHz, 2x2Gb DDR2-800, AMD Radeon 5850 1Gb (OC), and a 136Gb Raptor, Win7. The GeForce 8800GTS 320Mb may have been also installed at the time.
    Last edited by Evildead666; 11 December 2013, 09:32. Reason: Sig change, for future information
    PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
    Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
    +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Interesting to see where we're at 3.5 years later:

AvP D3D11 Benchmark Report
    ==========================

* Report Created: 2013-11-22 @ 23:33:50
    * Executable Build: V1.03, Apr 19 2010

*DX11 Hardware Detected*

Using Default Video Settings:

Resolution: 1920 x 1200
    Texture Quality: 2
    Shadow Quality: 3
    Anisotropic Filtering: 16
    SSAO: ON
    Vertical Sync: OFF
    DX11 Tessellation: ON
    DX11 Advanced Shadows: ON
    DX11 MSAA Samples: 1

Benchmark Summary:

Number of frames: 26679
    Average Frame Time: 3.9ms
    Average FPS: 254.3

GTX-780 SLI, i7 2600K at 4.5 GHz

Comment

Only 4x faster (albeit at higher res, so 5.2x may be more accurate)? Am I the only one who has the perception that computing power isn't increasing at the rate it did prior to, say, 2005?

Good to see some still run at 16:10!
      Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
      [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Well, CPU computer power started developing differently. Attention went to parallel computing: hyper-threading first, later multi cores and to less power hungry systems (a current Atom will for sure match a computer from 2005, but will do it with using much less power). Both make the chips much more efficient with the same power requirements, using additional instructions. Raw clock speed hasn't changes much (my Xeons are at 2.4 GHz, and they are 10 years old), even though now Intel for instance overclocks one core it other parts of the chip are unused (this way, it still within heat and power limits).
        Still, some problems don't run well in parallel, and they don't see that much benefits.

GPU power went a bit differently, and mainly increased the clock speed and memory: current high end cards consume a ridiculous amount of power, and to my surprise even when idling.

I'm not sure where it will go to now: I would not say the desktop is on its way out, for sure not professionally, but for many home users, it may just be. Perhaps that is why the manufacturers are more focussing on other things? The evolution in mobile phones in the last 3-4 years was ridiculous. Samsung at one point had a phone that could dock and be used almost as a computer (different OS though). But they abandoned it. I think the market needs to figure out what comes next (already 64-bit phones are announces). The large number of small palmtop computers (for example OQO) came and went.

I wonder if it might not go towards a situation where everybody carries a relatively powerful computer (the mobile phone) and docks it at home for home use. But then a few years after that, manufacturers will market that a fixed home computer will be more powerful and will allow you to carry a smaller device, and the desktop will come back.. Just my idea...
        pixar
        Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Originally posted by VJ View Post
          Well, CPU computer power started developing differently. Attention went to parallel computing: hyper-threading first, later multi cores and to less power hungry systems (a current Atom will for sure match a computer from 2005, but will do it with using much less power). Both make the chips much more efficient with the same power requirements, using additional instructions. Raw clock speed hasn't changes much (my Xeons are at 2.4 GHz, and they are 10 years old), even though now Intel for instance overclocks one core it other parts of the chip are unused (this way, it still within heat and power limits).
          Still, some problems don't run well in parallel, and they don't see that much benefits.

GPU power went a bit differently, and mainly increased the clock speed and memory: current high end cards consume a ridiculous amount of power, and to my surprise even when idling.

I'm not sure where it will go to now: I would not say the desktop is on its way out, for sure not professionally, but for many home users, it may just be. Perhaps that is why the manufacturers are more focussing on other things? The evolution in mobile phones in the last 3-4 years was ridiculous. Samsung at one point had a phone that could dock and be used almost as a computer (different OS though). But they abandoned it. I think the market needs to figure out what comes next (already 64-bit phones are announces). The large number of small palmtop computers (for example OQO) came and went.

I wonder if it might not go towards a situation where everybody carries a relatively powerful computer (the mobile phone) and docks it at home for home use. But then a few years after that, manufacturers will market that a fixed home computer will be more powerful and will allow you to carry a smaller device, and the desktop will come back.. Just my idea...
          I must have been really crap at searching, because I have been looking for a palmtop PC, to basically have a fully fledged PC in my pocket, about the size of a chequebook.
          The OQO was good, but not right.
          I then stumbled recently on the Viliv N5, which if updated with todays Atom chips and chipsets, would probably sell like hot-cakes. (i'd buy one).
          But no-one is making these types of machines anymore, just tablets, and 10 inch and up netbooks.
          3 years late to the party

I have found one on ebay for around 600-800 euros, but thats a lot to pay for 3 year old Atom hardware, even factoring in the form factor.
          PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.

Comment

double-post.

Comment

Working...
            X