Coppermine & chipsets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coppermine & chipsets

I've been considering buying a Coppermine (if I can ever find one)

When it comes to motherboards I'm a bit bewildered.

We all agree ( I hope ) that an BX board is faster at a given clock speed than a VIA, but what if the BX board runs at 620 MHZ (500@124 bus) and the VIA at 750 MHz (500@150, but with mem at 112 MHz). This would be the situation for me as my mem won't go any higher and I'm not about to purchase new modules.

------------------
    P3 500@560, 192 MB ram, G400 16SH
    "That's right fool! Now I'm a flying talking donkey!"

P4 2.66, 512 mb PC2700, ATI Radeon 9000, Seagate Barracude IV 80 gb, Acer Al 732 17" TFT

I think you should wait until the dust clears before jumping on a new motherboard. I suspect your options will increase in the Spring. Firstly, Intel will probably respond to the Camino fiasco with a better solution. Also, the new VIA boards are *just* coming out. You might want to take a "wait and see" attitude until their are more of them in the marketplace, and there is more data available.

Maybe I've misunderstood you, but I wouldn't buy a motherboard on the assumption that my yet-to-be-purchased PIII 500E is going to make it all the way to 750 MHz. I know the Coppermines are very overclockable, I have a 600E myself, but 500 to 750 is a substantial overclock and probably a very big "if."

Paul
    paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

Working...
    X