Pioneer 303S, and where to get it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pioneer 303S, and where to get it?

a) How "compatible" is this drive with the G400 and DVD playback?

b) Where can I get it? It seems to be in low stock at a lot of places.

Maggi actually has a 303, I'd try to get his attention. I have a 104, and it works quite nicely.

You can get all of these drives from Hi-Val. I think that's http://www.hival.com/. They're the distributor, and they do online sales.
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I have a 303S and have no problem with my G400 MAX with or without a Creative Labs Dxr3 DVD card. Also, it has worked fine with both the Cinemaster and WinDVD software. I purchased mine from Hyper Microsystems:
      http://www.hypermicro.com/store/index.htm

------------------
      600 MHz PIII @ 660 Mhz (2.05 V) w/Alpha P3-125 heatsink/fan, ABIT BE6-2, 128 MB Siemens PC100 SDRAM, G400 MAX, Diamond V2 SLI, CL SB Live with Sennheiser HD-600 headphones, Sennheiser DSP360 Dolby processor, and Shure FP22 headphone amplifier, Adaptec AHA2940 w/uw SCSI, IBM 9ZX 9.1GB 10K UW SCSI HD, WDE 4360 4.3GB 7.2k UW SCSI HD, Pioneer 303s SCSI DVD, Win98SE, in a modified Supermicro SC750A case with PCP&C Silencer 275W PS, and a partridge in a pear tree.

Comment

Does the 303s support digital audio extraction? My SCSI CD and CDR can only record MP3's in analogue mode but I would like to replace my IDE DVD ROM with the 303s if it can do DAE.

Comment

If this answers your question, the 303 has no digital audio output, only analog.

Comment

If you care, the 104 (10x IDE) does have Digital Out.
            Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

SeanTek

i also have the 303s and it is on a heavily populated scsi bus and works great. just to test the limits i transfered a 623 MB file to a local hard drive while watching "Sharkys Machine" on DVD, i then scaled the window to see at what point the frame rate became unacceptable...full screen was a slide show, but windowed(..about the size of a 14" monitor) was O.K. it was more of a test of my scsi bus and system strength than anything i guess!

i puchased mine from CDW when it first came out. i'm not sure how much they are now.

here is my system:

Motherboard: AMI MegaRUM II, dual 600Mhz Pentium III processors (installed), each with a 32/512 Cache configuration. 512 Mb of PC100, 8ns memory. Symbios Logic 53C896 U2W SCSI controllers. Intel 443GX Xeon chipset.

SCSI I/O:

Channel 1(LVD/U2): 4 Seagate LVD Cheetah 18LP, ST39103LW Ultra2 Wide SCSI-3 hard Drives, each with 1024k cache.

Channel 2(SE): JAZ 2GB internal, Plex-Writer 8/20, Pioneer DVD-303s ultra-scsi DVD reader and 2 UltraPlex-Wide 17/40 speed CD-ROM drives.

USB: USB Zip Drive, Epson Stylus Scan 2500

Networking: The network adapter is a 3Com 3C509B-TX PCI 10/100 Mbps controller, and a US Robotics Courier V.Everything 33.6/28.8/x2/V.90 internal ISA modem.

Video: Matrox G400 Max with Dual Head. The primary display is a Panasonic PanaSync E21, .25-dot pitch, 20" viewable; the secondary display is a Viewsonic flat panel display model VP150.

Multi-media: Creative Labs Sound Blaster Live PCI Bus Mastering sound card. Speaker system is the Cambridge Works FPS2000 Digital speaker system.

chucky

Comment

Thanks. Do you know whether there is any SCSI DVD that supports DAE?
                I could have sworn that I saw on the Pioneer site about six months ago that they were releasing a slot version that did. I am not sure if it was the 6X 303 series or the next generation.
                I am not referring to the two pin digital cable that goes from a drive to the sound card (SB Live), but rather the ability to extract digital audio from the drive over the PCI bus that an IDE device has.

Comment

I too have the Pioneer DVD-303S in three computers here. I never had any problems with them.

As for digital audio extraction, I have no idea. But it sure doesn't have that digital CD Audio connector to the SB Live!.

------------------
                  primary sys: ASUS P2B-DS, Dual P3-500, 512 MB RAM, SB Live! Platinum, Pioneer DVD-303, Yamaha 6416S, Cambridge SoundWorks DeskTop Theater 5.1 DTT2500 Digital, and of course a Matrox G400 MAX
                  secondary sys: Abit BE6, P3-500, 384 MB, SB Live! Value, Pioneer DVD-303, and of course a Matrox G400 OEM SH 32 MB

Comment

Pioneer 303S DVD drive does support DAE... up to 14x, I can copy audio CDs on-the-fly at 8x speed in CDRWin or DiscJuggler. I'm very satisfied with this drive, I didn't have any unreadable CD with it so far.

Comment

Hey Prophet,
                      The plot thickens.
                      O.K. - So I could use an MP3 ripper like my Real Jukebox and it would work in digital mode up to 14X ?
                      Is yours a slot version - I am sure that the tray version does not support DAE - anyone confirm?
                      If so, I must find out how to get the slot model - only ever seen the tray available.

Comment

Working...
                      X