Posting an HTML page on a UNIX Web Server

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Posting an HTML page on a UNIX Web Server

I am trying to post a regualar HTML document to a UNIX web server. I am running Windows 98 with Office 2000 and all that good stuff. I have almost every Web development package you can think of. I need to know how to post a single HTML document to a UNIX server. If you got any ideas let me know.

ftp it over.

chmod 755 it.

ta-da.
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Heh, I always forget the chmod part...
      Someday, we'll look back on this, laugh nervously and change the subject.

Comment

Leave it to a MCSE. . . ;-)
        [M]ust [C]onsult [S]omeone [E]xperienced

[just kidding]
        Abit BP6 with 2 Celeron 366@550mhz with only 2.0V
        Matrox G400 DH 32MB @ Max clock rates
        Sound Blaster Live!
        Hauppauge WinTV
        Intel EtherExpress PRO/100+
        Tekram U2W SCSI
        IBM UltraStar 18ES LVD HD
        Pioneer 10X DVD-ROM
        IOMega ZIP
        Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer USB
        Monorail keyboard
        Panasonic PanaFlat PF70

Comment

Some of the more paranoid nerdy Unix ops even block any remote access to their machines except for Secure Shell connections, which encrypts the passwords send. In that case you are advised to start a ftp server on your machine and then ftp to it from the shell. It's a bit complicated, but it works.

Of course, you usually have to store the files in a 'public_html' folder (can I say folder for Unix?) (or something like that to make them visible to the outside).

Comment

General hardware, eh?

Regarding the ssh stuff:
            You don't need to start an ftp server on your own computer, you could just use scp to copy it.
            I'd still like to read the warp specs for the G200 and G400.

Comment

sssssh ... be quiet or rude ppl with boomsticks will come and take our thread away...

Comment

And thanks to the legendary proprietary pay-me-lots-and-lots-o-your-money-for-buggy-software boy wonder Bill Gates, Unix ASCII is slightly different from dos/windows ASCII. Make sure that when you are ftping over the html files, you are in "ascii" mode, and not binary mode. When you are ftping over the pictures, make sure that you are in "binary" mode and not ascii.

Comment

Right, ftp-ing an MP3 file in ASCII mode is not good.

Comment

If MS doesn't teach you this, what ARE you certified to do?
                    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Working...
                    X