To DMA, or not to DMA...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To DMA, or not to DMA...

..that is my question. I have a Pioneer 104 as master, and a Phillips CD-R as slave. Should I install AMD's IDE drivers? Should I enable DMA on the DVD?

Tune in next post for a valiant answer (I hope..)

P.S. What's the latest with G400 and DVD software? I'm about to go digging through the archives, but they aren't the most searchable thing.

Toodles,
    Wombat

------------------
    MSI-6167 w/ Athlon 500@750 (thx Greebe!), 128MB Crucial PC133, G400MAX,SBLive!-MP3,Pioneer 10x DVD, Phillips CD-R, a hard drive or two, and a Sony 420GS. Running RH6.1, and Win98 (when I have to).

Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

I take it back. The forums are quite searchable.
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I have a very similar set up to you except my CDRW is an HP. I had problems with DMA (Instability and machine freezing) until I installed the VIA 4-in-1 drivers and all is now fine. With the VIA drivers installed though, the DMA option box does not appear in the CDROM properties tab in control panel. You have to use the VIADMATOOL program.

Vic

Comment

Thanks for the advice, but what motherboard do you have? I have no VIA parts on mine.

Comment

I had the same problem but i was using a ALI chipset motherboard, so i went to there site and d/l there lastest IDE Bus master Drivers and now my DMA settings work fine
          www.ali.com.tw

if you need the link

VoodooK

Comment

Working...
          X