Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about k7

Here's what's hopefully happening

I'm getting sent an asus K7M-RM motherboard and i'm planning to build a athlon system using my exsisting G400 as the video card

so...
    -What's super bypass on Asus k7m mobos?
    -Why do some people refer to bios series 12xx and some people refer to bios series 12x? What the difference?
    -I've read a lot of difficulties with the K7m and a G400... what should the "proper" installation of drivers be? (win98se)
    -Also, i'm planning to update the bios, would the k7m bios be ok for the k7m-rm bios?

Thanks everyone!

Can someone please help me out? I'm gettin my new system in about 2-3 days and I don't want to mess it up... ...

Comment

I don't know the answers to any of these questions, but if you repost at www.amdzone.com , I'm sure you'll get your answer. It's a site dedicated completely to AMD's and currently, Athlons.... They'll get you fixed up.

Good luck,

Dimitri
      "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: His eyes are closed"
      --- Albert Einstein

"Drag racing is for people that don't know how to brake and downshift at the same time."

Comment

ok.. ijust signed on with amdzone... its where i get all my info but never noticed they had a board...

but i think i can get the g400 question answered here the best... to my knowledge, after you put the system together, u install win98se, then install agp minidrivers, then force agp to 2x (if i have problems with it)

is that about it?

Comment

If your still reading this then i'll tell you my experience with this set up.

Super bypass reduces the memory latency between the cpu and memory, make the machine slightly faster, you have to have bios km1209 or higher for it to be enabled, and chipset C stepping 5 or higher.

Install windows98 as normal, install via registry patch(windows will then find loads of motherboard resources). Install amd miniport driver and then g400 drivers. Install the via busmaster drivers.

When i did this i was getting the so called 'plaid death' screen on cold boots and to get rid of it i down loaded the registry hack from Matroxusers.com and install forceagp2x.reg into the registry and that should be sorted.

As for the bios i'm sticking with the km1209 bios as the others are flakey and set off alarms all over the place..

------------------
          Athlon 500@700 on Asus K7m rev1.04 bios 1209, 128Mb ram, G400 32Mb sh, SB 128 pci, ADI microscan 17in monitor, pioneer 24x scsi cdrom, Ricoh 6200 scsi cdrw, pioneer 6x dvd rom, 56k modem
          AthlonXP 1700+@1900+(1.59GHz) on Abit KG7, 512Mb DDRram, Elsa Gladiac 920, SB 128 pci, ADI microscan 17in monitor, Pioneer 6x dvd rom,Ricoh7083CDRW, 56k modem

Comment

where exactly do i find the via registry patch?

I went onto the via page and it has a bunch of drivers and i'm not sure which one your talking about...

thanks for you info... i'll try your install method later today

Comment

oh... and what are the busmaster drivers for? for ide busmastering? would I need these if i don't have a ata66 hd?

Comment

Working...
              X