fat32 drive convertor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fat32 drive convertor

Ive got a 540 meg hd that I wanted to doublespace, but it says i cannot because it is a fat32 drive.Is there a way to format it back to fat16?
    gobrob

*** SOAPBOX *** (Not saying this belongs in, Saying that following is my personal belief)
    Don't do it....

Doublespacing (Drivespacing) a drive is just waiting for a problem to happen....

Too many corruptions, lost files, lost drives, IMX....

Drives are too cheap to mess with
    compression routines.
    *** STANDING DOWN ***

If you have space problems now, converting from FAT32 to FAT16 is only going to make matters worse. The amount of space each block is going to take is going to increase switching from FAT32 to FAT16. So you will not be able to put as many files on it. Then doublespace (drivespace) will make matters worse by increasing the blocksize again because it thinks it has more room to work with...

Guyv
    Gaming Rig.

- Gigabyte GA-7N400-Pro
    - AMD Athlon 3200+ XP
    - 1.5GB Dual Channel DDR 433Mhz SDRAM
    - 6.1 Digital Audio
    - Gigabit Lan (Linksys 1032)
    - 4 x 120GB SATA Drives, RAID 0+1 (Striped/Mirrored)
    - Sony DRU-500A DVD/+/-/R/RW
    - Creative 8x DVD-ROM
    - LS120 IDE Floppy
    - Zip 100 IDE
    - PNY Ultra 5900 (256MB)
    - NEC FE950
    - DTT2500 Cambridge Soundworks

Comment

If you absolutely, possitively have to try it, then use PowerQuests Partition Magic to do the conversion.

Guyv
      Gaming Rig.

- Gigabyte GA-7N400-Pro
      - AMD Athlon 3200+ XP
      - 6.1 Digital Audio
      - Creative 8x DVD-ROM
      - LS120 IDE Floppy
      - Zip 100 IDE
      - PNY Ultra 5900 (256MB)
      - NEC FE950

Comment

Sorry,I guess you don't understand,I have a 6.4 gig as my main,was just seeing if i added this 540 that i have to back things up on, if I could get more out of it.
        gobrob

Comment

Gorob, as I see it, doublespace is a compress disk tool, right? If you will use the drive for backups only, zip the files before you copy it. You will not gain any space if you use a doublespace drive with compressed files anyway.

Comment

DOH!

If it's fast enough, just use it for a 540MB permanent swap file...

Guyver
            Gaming Rig.

- Gigabyte GA-7N400-Pro
            - AMD Athlon 3200+ XP
            - 6.1 Digital Audio
            - Creative 8x DVD-ROM
            - LS120 IDE Floppy
            - Zip 100 IDE
            - PNY Ultra 5900 (256MB)
            - NEC FE950

Comment

Listen to the guy about compressed files he speaks the truth. If you compress your files and stick them on a compressed drive...that does no good at all. Also if your going to do a backup, it does not make any sense. Making a backup on a Drivespace drive???? uhhh..yeah. Get a CDR and make a backup on that or better yet get that $300 40g maxtor.
              C:\DOS
              C:\DOS\RUN
              \RUN\DOS\RUN

Comment

Listen to these guys! Just use the 540 for a normal backup and keep it fat32. Use winzip or rar or other such to make your backups. And make sure you have the original install file for winzip as a stand alone(not part of the archive) so that you cn get at the rest of the data. Guyver and Nuno are right. You will loose space by converting to fat16 and you will give yourself and everyone around you headaches by using dblspace or drvspace.
                Just zip em up and copy em over. My backup file is just over 80 megs, so I'm sure you can get it all there. Unless you have alot of CAD/Cam or other grapics stuff Good luck

------------------
                AsusP2B ,iCeleron525(7x75), 128megs PC100, G40032megSH, Yamaha PCI sound, 2 small HD's, 42X Sony CDrom and 98SE w/shutdown patch, PD 5.5010, 1 grey cat, one black cat and one calico

AMD XP2100+, 512megs DDR333, ATI Radeon 8500, some other stuff.

Comment

Working...
                X