Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avoiding Algebra II

/sigh..../

I don't know if we should laugh or cry....

Link....

Granholm sent bill to give Michigan high school students more options to avoid algebra II

LANSING -- The Michigan Legislature has passed a bill that would give high school students more options to avoid taking algebra II and still graduate.

The bill would let students substitute a statistics or data analysis class in place of the advanced algebra class. The legislation passed the House by a 104-3 vote and passed the Senate by a 32-3 vote on Thursday.

The legislation now goes to Gov. Jennifer Granholm for her consideration. Granholm's administration has resisted changes to the graduation standards.

Some lawmakers have sought to remove algebra II from the list of typical graduation requirements ever since the tougher standards were signed into law four years ago.

One size does not fit all, said Rockford Superintendent Michael Shibler. Students should be required to take four math courses in order to graduate, he said, but ones based on each student's ability and interest.

The bill wouldn't completely resolve the issue, he said, but it would give students more choices. "If they can come through with an alternative to algebra II, it's at least a step in the right direction," he said.

About 25 percent of high school students statewide have failed one or more of their graduation requirement classes, said Kent Intermediate Assistant Superintendent Ron Koehler, who echoed Shibler's opinion.

"We think some alternatives are very helpful or very positive for students who may be good students but may be challenged by the rigor of algebra II," he said.

The stricter standards for graduation kick in with the class of 2011.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

So how hard is Algebra II? What must a pupil be able to do?
    Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
    [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

It's the intermediate algebra class required before pre-calc or trig. In my day you also had to take it before statistics etc. From the curriculum;

This discipline complements and expands the mathematical content and concepts of algebra I and geometry. Students who master algebra II will gain experience with algebraic solutions of problems in various content areas, including the solution of systems of quadratic equations, logarithmic and exponential functions, the binomial theorem, and the complex number system.
      Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 7 May 2010, 00:32.
      Dr. Mordrid

Comment

That's algebra II

I think we should cry...
        pixar
        Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

So it solving things like 0 = ax^2 + bx + c, 0 = ln ax (LOL) and c = e^ax, working with binomials and working with SQRT(-1)?

Over here, we got that from 3rd grade and fifth grade (binomials) but without complex numbers IIRC. That's with first grade at 12 years and 6th grade at 18 years of age and if you took the harder math classes. Seems you guys are doing ok?!
          Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
          [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

If I'd had to pass Algebra II to graduate from high school I STILL wouldn't have my diploma. I had to study my brains out to pass a remedial algebra class in college. That's when my counsellor advised me to go into the "soft sciences." Got an utterly worthless Communications degree and today I repair computers for a living. But I STILL couldn't solve for x if the fate of the free world depended on it.

I'm all for our kids being better-educated than we were. But some people simply cannot handle the math.

Kevin

Comment

Math in our mid-60's farm community high school;

Algebra 1 - required
              Algebra 2/pre-Calculus - required
              Calculus
              Geometry (plane 1st semester/solid 2nd semester) - required
              Trigonometry
              Physics 1 - basic
              Physics 2 - advanced (both Physics are now classified as Science classes)
              Statistics
              Logic

At lest 4 math credits required for graduation - the 3 required plus a math elective. I had 8 (skipped Stats and tested out of Algebra 1, Geometry and Physics 1), and our classes were a LOT tougher than today. Even today: 27.5 total credits in order to graduate.

Physics, Calc and Trig teacher was a Greek educated there with a math masters. Rest of the math courses were taught by a 1st gen. Russian-American educated in W. Germany.

On checking their current class offerings I see Video Production 1A, Video Production 1B, Video Production II and Theater Arts. Since I left the already high level arts program has expanded exponentially and they have a totally modern 1200 seat theater. Even in my day the band/orchestra were perennial winners at the Interlochen Arts Camp festival.
              Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 7 May 2010, 13:28.
              Dr. Mordrid

Comment

We did this in hi-school (15-18). Otherwise I'm noticing that quality of education is going down. Currently everyone has university diploma and is functionally illiterate (the emails people write...). They reduced and expanded hi-schools and most of university students here probably wouldn't be able to pass this.

I have only hi-school and have two guys (one has bachelor, other is about to get it) subordinated to me and I'm a source of knowledge for them. Luckily our work doesn't give much about formal education, actual knowledge, how you work and experience count.

Comment

Originally posted by KRSESQ View Post
                  If I'd had to pass Algebra II to graduate from high school I STILL wouldn't have my diploma. I had to study my brains out to pass a remedial algebra class in college. That's when my counsellor advised me to go into the "soft sciences." Got an utterly worthless Communications degree and today I repair computers for a living. But I STILL couldn't solve for x if the fate of the free world depended on it.
                  I agree there are these situations... But at university (in engineering), we are seeing more and more people that just shouldn't have been there. And the reason is that the general level is going down and people make the wrong choice as a result. IMO it is no problem if somebody cannot do algebra, but than deciding to study engineering somehow seems wrong...

Originally posted by UtwigMU View Post
                  Otherwise I'm noticing that quality of education is going down. Currently everyone has university diploma and is functionally illiterate (the emails people write...). They reduced and expanded hi-schools and most of university students here probably wouldn't be able to pass this.

I have only hi-school and have two guys (one has bachelor, other is about to get it) subordinated to me and I'm a source of knowledge for them. Luckily our work doesn't give much about formal education, actual knowledge, how you work and experience count.
                  I couldn't agree more... What is worse is that the levels at the universities are also going down, and this in many different fields. To illustrate: when I studied, you needed 12/20 to pass a course. Courses for which you had between 10-11 you needed to redo if you had other courses to redo. Additionally, you needed a full total of at least 550/1000 to pass, and if you passed a course it was only valid for 4 examination periods (meaning that if you didn't pass the other courses of that year within 4 examination periods, you'd have to redo it - regardless of the grade you got the first time.
                  Now, 10/20 is enough to be clear of that course for an unlimited number of examination periods. The entrance exam for engineering is gone, and there are numerous other changes that clearly show the level is going down (warning professors that not enough people pass!). The fact that universities are subsidised based on student numbers is also creating this weird effect: it is interesting to have more students pass in the first years, because they are less likely to drop out in later years. But this is not in the best interest of the student!

It also feels like going to university has become a way of life. In ;y days (man I sound old), we went to study and partied somewhat... Now they just party and maybe study. Society seems to have told young people that if you haven't studied at university (and stayed in some student dorm), you miss part of life. Most of the students don't even seem to realize this, and walk around at university as if they own the place..

Jörg
                  pixar
                  Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Very sad. I remember acing that class in 9th grade.

Comment

Working...
                    X