Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pirates bite off more than they can chew...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pirates bite off more than they can chew...

Link....

Russia sends warship after tanker is hijacked by Somali pirates

A crew of 23 Russians is aboard the Liberian-flagged MV Moscow University, reportedly carrying a cargo worth more than $50 million. The tanker, bound for China, was seized off Yemen.

A Russian warship was sailing toward the kidnapped crew of a Russian-owned oil tanker hijacked Wednesday by Somali pirates as the vessel headed into the Indian Ocean with a cargo reportedly valued at more than $50 million, according to a European antipiracy naval force.

The MV Moscow University tanker had left Sudan and was bound for China when pirates seized the 106,474-ton vessel about 350 miles off the Yemeni island of Socotra. The tanker flew a Liberian flag, but is owned by Novorossiysk Shipping Co. and carried a crew 23 Russians.
    >
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Oooooh...don't mess with the Russians. I can see them blowing the entire tanker out of the water WITH the crew AND hijackers, just to send a message.

Kevin

Comment

Nah, they'll send in the spetsnaz. Then they'll send the spetsnaz after the pirate's land base.
      “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
      –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Why the heck don't the crew have ammunition to defend itself? I mean all they need are a few trained guys with a ton of weaponry to pick off these guys when they are approached!

Comment

Practice is that commercial ships are not armed. Practice needs to change.
          Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Exactly

Comment

Congrats to the crew of the anti-submarine warship Marshal Shaposhnikov (BPK 543) on the rescue. Tossing back a brew in their honor

Hope the reports of no hostage injuries hold up. Don't care about the pirates survival, of course. IMO feed them to the sharks

Sorry, but it's in Russian.

Последние события в режиме онлайн: главные новости российского бизнеса и политики, международные события, криминальные происшествия, обзоры прессы, движения фондового рынка, лента спортивных новостей, автомобильные новости.
              Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 5 May 2010, 22:42.
              Dr. Mordrid

Comment

UPDATE: Jammrock called it

The Marshal Shaposhnikov arrived around 3 AM. Then, with the aid of allied helicopters, the positions of the crew and the pirates were pinpointed.

At about 7:45 AM SpetsNaz (special forces) troops boarded the tanker, freed the crew and engaged the pirates. All crew members are reported to be safe and one pirate was killed.

Now, where was that pirate base? They'd better duck & cover
                Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 6 May 2010, 06:03.
                Dr. Mordrid

Comment

ура зто классно!

(I learned Russian in the past 3 years.)
                  Last edited by UtwigMU; 6 May 2010, 15:47.

Comment

I read that the contact with the raft on which Russians placed pirates was lost.

Comment

Have to check for any Russian or allied subs doing torpedo drills
                      Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Working...
                      X