Browsers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Browsers

According to a BBC report, Microsoft's Internet Explorer (IE) web browser, now accounts for less than 60% of the market, down from 95% at its peak in 2003, according to new figures. This inspired me to look at the statistics for one of my web sites, with the following results of hits over the last 365 days:

This compares reasonably closely to their figures:

There is one significant difference; my statistics push Chrome into the "Unknown" category and they do not have the latter, even though the list of browsers is incomplete. Another difference is that mine are over a year, whereas theirs is probably over a shorter period; if the data are shifting dynamically, then this would make a difference in favour of IE.

I think the conclusion may be drawn that some users no longer regard Microsoft products as sacrosanct.
    Brian (the devil incarnate)

You might want to check IE versions too, it gets even more interesting there..
    "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Comment

IE2 4
      IE5 190
      IE5.5 223
      IE6 15084
      IE7 16823
      IE 14796 (unspecified, version 8???)

This adds up to 47120; presumabbly one more user had a hit between the sets of stats!
      Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Now take for instance IE6 users, they're probably people who installed windows XP and didn't touch or change anything ever since. Hardly what you'd call people who chose one product over another..
        "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Comment

They probably don't have a choice. Locked down ancient corporate systems are a real PITA to those of us trying to deliver a modern web experience!
          FT.

Comment

Good Lord! There are still people out there using IE 2?

Kevin

Comment

Working...
            X