Prey - because there's always hope

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prey - because there's always hope

Find stolen/missing laptops or phones. Device tracking and reactive anti-theft tool with 10 years of experience protecting multi-OS phones, laptops, & tablets.
    "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Fab!
    FT.

Comment

Try any Intel-based laptop with AMT6 (Core i7/Centrino 2 Pro). There is a hardware-level service engine which provides: KVM over IP, bidirectional TLS encryption to the BIOS, Network card and the Hard drive...the machine can be locked permanently (and reversibly) from even being powered on, the hard drive can be wiped from end-to-end at the hardware level. Resetting the BIOS will not restore functionality if the TPM has been activated. The only way to restore function is if a trusted source touched the AMT engine and unlocks it.

There are also tie-ins with software which may be running on the host (SCCM Advanced Client) for geo-location and or help requests.

I've got one (in the form of an HP 2740P Elitebook) and it is crazy cool to have that much remote control.
      Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

I just wonder... Are thieves really that stupid? I mean, for starters I doubt any self respecting laptop thief would boot the system while it has network access, as it is known such tools exist... So any pure software solution seems a bit moot to me (it suffices to remove the harddisk, wiped it in another computer, put it back, install os, ...)
        The solution mmm describes is different, in that it has a hardware tie-in...
        pixar
        Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Originally posted by VJ View Post
          I just wonder... Are thieves really that stupid?
          Yes
          I mean, for starters I doubt any self respecting laptop thief would boot the system while it has network access, as it is known such tools exist...
          They would, just because they know how to steal doesn't mean they know jack shit about the computers they steal.
          "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Comment

TransformX: yes... apparently they are so stupid... It just surprises me...

MMM: I'm always a bit afraid of these things with a hardware tie-in... what if something goes wrong and you cannot access your own computer anymore...? Or are there measures in place to prevent this?
            pixar
            Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

There are several ways to backup a lost certificate, which is how most of the system secures everything. If you have a certificate, you're good to restore the system.
              Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

Programs like this though reside in the BIOS and sector 0 of the HDD. Unless you low-level format the drive and know how to scrub the BIOS you can't get rid of it. Ever. Less tech savvy people would think a format will put them in the clear, only to find out the laptop lojac is still working.

After all, what good is a computer these days if you don't use it to surf the web?
                “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Working...
                X