Steve Jobs open letter v. Flash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steve Jobs open letter v. Flash

I can find very little to disagree with, especially given how high a CPU load Flash needs to stream HD video vs. Silverlight (ex: Netflix) or HTML5, security and battery life.

Apple Inc. (AAPL) has published on its main Web site a memo signed "Steve Jobs" that, in uncharacteristic fashion, details Chief Executive Jobs' and Apple's opposition to the use in some Apple products of Flash, the technology from Adobe Systems Inc. (ADBE) that is broadly used to create video and animation content on the Web. The complete text appears below.

Thoughts On Flash

Apple has a long relationship with Adobe. In fact, we met Adobe's founders when they were in their proverbial garage. Apple was their first big customer, adopting their Postscript language for our new Laserwriter printer. Apple invested in Adobe and owned around 20% of the company for many years. The two companies worked closely together to pioneer desktop publishing and there were many good times. Since that golden era, the companies have grown apart. Apple went through its near death experience, and Adobe was drawn to the corporate market with their Acrobat products. Today the two companies still work together to serve their joint creative customers--Mac users buy around half of Adobe's Creative Suite products--but beyond that there are few joint interests.

I wanted to jot down some of our thoughts on Adobe's Flash products so that customers and critics may better understand why we do not allow Flash on iPhones, iPods and iPads. Adobe has characterized our decision as being primarily business driven--they say we want to protect our App Store--but in reality it is based on technology issues. Adobe claims that we are a closed system, and that Flash is open, but in fact the opposite is true. Let me explain.
    >
    >
    Conclusions.

Flash was created during the PC era--for PCs and mice. Flash is a successful business for Adobe, and we can understand why they want to push it beyond PCs. But the mobile era is about low power devices, touch interfaces and open web standards--all areas where Flash falls short.

The avalanche of media outlets offering their content for Apple's mobile devices demonstrates that Flash is no longer necessary to watch video or consume any kind of web content. And the 200,000 apps on Apple's App Store proves that Flash isn't necessary for tens of thousands of developers to create graphically rich applications, including games.

New open standards created in the mobile era, such as HTML5, will win on mobile devices (and PCs too). Perhaps Adobe should focus more on creating great HTML5 tools for the future, and less on criticizing Apple for leaving the past behind.

Steve Jobs

April, 2010
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 29 April 2010, 17:21.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

He can't argue that they are open, having just blocked all third-party developers. CS5 was going to be a low cost route for me to create an iPhone app from an existing Flash app. Now we have to buy a mac, get the SDK and code it all from scratch.

Open? My arse.
    FT.

Comment

Reminds me of the debate for and a gainst hybrid cars. Bottom line - Toyota made one and with it, made a lot of money. Same will happen here: Apple bans it, Android embraces it. Good or bad, one has, other doesn't. Guess who'll come on top?
      "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Comment

I can imagine that Apple doesn't want to run native Flash code: it maybe is not so efficient as it adds some layer between the code and the hardware. (allthough I think if the issue really is performance, they could have just sat around with Adobe to make some optimized hardware-accellerated flash engine).

But I fail to see why recompiled code needs to be banned as well: it doesn't matter in what it is coded, a good cross-compiler should be able to translate it efficiently.

edit: I like this quote from Adobe:
        "If Flash is the #1 reason that Macs crash, which I'm not aware of, it has as much to do with the Apple [mac] os..."
        Last edited by VJ; 4 May 2010, 04:02.
        pixar
        Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Originally posted by VJ View Post
          ...But I fail to see why recompiled code needs to be banned as well: it doesn't matter in what it is coded, a good cross-compiler should be able to translate it efficiently. ...
          Yup, and with Apple being so "open" there'd be no problems there...
          FT.

Comment

Apple To Face Antitrust Investigation?
            "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Comment

Originally posted by TransformX View Post
              I hope first of all that flash dies. There's no way around the fact that it's just horrible! SVG, HTML5 and open video formats are a much better alternative for the long term.

I'd also like Apple to be forced to open up before they turn into Microsoft 2.0, as that's the direction Apple has been going for the past years.

Comment

Flash is used even in video games.. a friend of mine, who worked on Bioshock2 was telling me how the user interface is often written in flash.. shocking to say the least
                I personally have no love for it, that and the other abomination from Adobe, Acrobat reader.

btw, how close is HTML5 to becoming main stream?
                We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

Hopefully HTML5 will become mainstream sooner rather than later:

Did we mention that 2010 would be a big year for HTML5? Apple and Google are pushing it big time, and now so is Microsoft. When Internet Explorer 9 comes out, it will support HTML5 and help make it more common across the Web. "The future of the web is HTML5," writes Dean Hachamovitch, the general manager for IE at Microsoft in a blog post talking about Web video. Microsoft still supports Flash as well, but HTML5 and Flash are at loggerheads. By throwing its weight behind HTML5, Microsoft giving Website designers one more reason to abandon Flash.

Did we mention that 2010 would be a big year for HTML5? Apple and Google are pushing it big time, and now so is Microsoft. When Internet Explorer 9 comes out, it will support HTML5 and help make it more common across the Web.

“The future of the web is HTML5,” writes Dean Hachamovitch, the general manager for IE at Microsoft in a blog post talking about Web video. Microsoft still supports Flash as well, but HTML5 and Flash are at loggerheads. By throwing its weight behind HTML5, Microsoft giving Website designers one more reason to abandon Flash.

The post specifically talks about Microsoft’s plans to support only the H.264 codec for HTML5 video. Again, Flash players now support H.264 also. But the more H.264 video is out there, the less need there will be for Flash players because those videos can play directly in an HTML5 browser, such as IE9, Safari, or Chrome.

And, as Apple CEO Steve Jobs discussed in his we-don’t-need-no-stinkin’-Flash rant yesterday, H.264 is much more mobile-friendly:

To achieve long battery life when playing video, mobile devices must decode the video in hardware; decoding it in software uses too much power. Many of the chips used in modern mobile devices contain a decoder called H.264 – an industry standard that is used in every Blu-ray DVD player and has been adopted by Apple, Google (YouTube), Vimeo, Netflix and many other companies.

Although Flash has recently added support for H.264, the video on almost all Flash websites currently requires an older generation decoder that is not implemented in mobile chips and must be run in software. The difference is striking: on an iPhone, for example, H.264 videos play for up to 10 hours, while videos decoded in software play for less than 5 hours before the battery is fully drained.

Hachamovitch is more diplomatic. He also notes that “Flash does have some issues, particularly around reliability, security, and performance.” Nevertheless, he adds that too many consumers rely on Flash, so Microsoft will continue to work with Adobe to make it better.

And if it doesn’t get better, . . . well, by that time HTML5 will be more widely distributed on sites across the Web. Microsoft and Apple and Google will make sure of that.

Read more: http://techcrunch.com/2010/04/30/mic...#ixzz0n4WM6Vbn
                  Go Bunny GO!

Titan:
                  MSI NEO2-FISR | Intel P4-3.0C | 1024MB Corsair TWINX1024 3200LLPT RAM | ATI AIW 9700 Pro | Dell P780 @ 1024x768x32 | Turtle Beach Santa Cruz | Sony DRU-500A DVD-R/-RW/+R/+RW | WDC 100GB [C:] | WDC 100GB [D:] | Logitech MX-700

Mini:
                  Shuttle SB51G XPC | Intel P4 2.4Ghz | Matrox G400MAX | 512 MB Crucial DDR333 RAM | CD-RW/DVD-ROM | Seagate 80GB [C:] | Logitech Cordless Elite Duo

Server:
                  Abit BE6-II | Intel PIII 450Mhz | Matrox Millennium II PCI | 256 MB Crucial PC133 RAM | WDC 6GB [C:] | WDC 200GB [E:] | WDC 160GB [F:] | WDC 250GB [G:]

Comment

That's surprising since MS has been pushing Silverlight very heavily.
                    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Working...
                    X