Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Return of: Which fruit did I buy?

Hi guys,

since the last thread was an overwhelming success, here is the next riddle for you: I initially thought it was a yellow type of mango, but had to realize two days later (when it was getting soft) that it didn't resemble a mango at all. and though they slightly look like khakis, they are definitely not.

- orange/yellow outside, thin leathery skin
    - pulp is very mealy
    - actually smells pretty bad and doesn't taste good (neither sweet, nor juicy).
    - gf says it smells like tapenade
    - seedling looks just like a chestnut, also slightly elongated

Again - any ideas?

Thanks,
    W
    "Perhaps they communicate by changing colour? Like those sea creatures .."
    "Lobsters?"
    "Really? I didn't know they did that."
    "Oh yes, red means help!"

Looks like Dates...

Comment

Or.... Lulo Naranjilla

Comment

dates - I'm actually considering that, but mine seem to be too large, they are rather the size of a small mango. plus the kernel has the looks of an elongated chestnut: dark brown and shiny, with a rough, lighter spot on one side.

all of the others: nope.

picture is from a bad, slightly moldy one, sorry - front left: the (unpolished) kernel.

mfg
        w
        "Lobsters?"

Comment

The seed looks familiar, It looks like a fruit we used to eat in the middle east. Forgot the name though.

Comment

"For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Comment

I love loquats and have a tree myself, they are quite sweet and tasty almost citrusy. Also they have a pleasant smell.

So I don't think they are what Wulfman is descibing, though I mjust say they do look similar

Comment

Originally posted by Marshmallowman View Post
                I love loquats and have a tree myself, they are quite sweet and tasty almost citrusy. Also they have a pleasant smell.

So I don't think they are what Wulfman is descibing, though I mjust say they do look similar
                That's probably because Wulfman bought bad loquats. Either they were picked before they were ripe, didn't get enough sun or whatever.
                "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Comment

Originally posted by TransformX View Post
                  That's the one, there is another name for it, I will try to find it.

That fruit is actually good!

Comment

not Loquats. i grew up with a tree. shape is wrong. and they are very sweet. Seed is smooth and separates easily.

Comment

I agree they look like loquats, but I don't think they are. Loquats have 1-4 seeds in them, as a rule, and are the size of a smallish plum; those look bigger. They are very sweet if picked ripe. The alternative name is the Japanese Medlar. In Greek, they are called Mespila. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loquat

They are ripe here now and I ate some yesterday. The variety I had (there are 3-4 varieties grown here) had a flavour rather like a sweet pear, whereas others may be reminiscent of citrus fruit.
                      Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

In the middle east it's called Acadonia. Very nice fruit.

Comment

maybe it helps - two kernels from two different fruits, cleaned up. only 1 kernel per fruit, as far as we could see.

mfg
                          w
                          "Lobsters?"

Comment

Working...
                          X