KDS 19" moniter any good?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDS 19" moniter any good?

Anyone have or seen closely what a KDS VS-190 is like?It is so cheap its hard to pass up($449cdn).Also will run 1600x1200@75mhz. sounds ok?
    gobrob

I've seen it... and a customer of mine was concidering one... that was until I showed him how shitty it was at high resolutions!

I give it two thumbs down.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

I just ordered a new monitor the other day. I spent many hours researching. KDS never made it onto my list of prospective manufacturers. Ended up getting a Sony - cost a little ($30-$50 US) more than some others I liked, but had the best reviews.

I recommend you check out: http://www.cnet.com
      and http://www.epinions.com

Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I bought a KDS 19" VS19sn in August for ($398 US). I'm quite happy with it. It has a .25mm dot pitch and a small footprint. I'm not sure how it does at 1600x1200, but I run mine at 1024x768 at 100MHz.
        I'm not familiar with the VS-190, but I think it's maybe one step lower than the VS19sn.
        I compared it in the store with NEC and Iimaya models and thought it was better.
        My rig: P4 3.0GHz; Asus P4C800E; 1GB DDR 3200; AIW Radeon 9800 Pro; WD 120GB SATA; Plextor DVD burner; Liteon DVD reader; Audigy 2ZS; Logitech Z560 4.1; NEC FE991SB

Kid's rig: AMD XP 1600+; 512MB ram; GF4 Ti4600; Maxtor 60GB; Plextor CD burner; Sony DVD reader; SB Live; Cambridge 4.1 speakers; NEC FE991SB

Other kid's rig: Athlon 2700+; ASUS A7N8X mobo; 512MB PC3200 ram; GF4 Ti4600; Maxtor 80GB; SB Live; Cambridge 2.1; NEC FE991SB; Liteon DVD-ROM

Comment

Hmm. Higher resolutions are important.

Also, I agree that it's important to look at the monitor before you buy. But just as a word of caution to all:
          I usually don't consider the monitor display at Best Buy a good way to compare. They use lots of splitters, and the wiring back there ...you have no idea what kind of signal is actually getting to the monitor. The worst monitor there may look good if it got lucky with the wiring. The Sony's at Best Buy look no where near as good as the ones I've seen here @ school, presumably b/c of all that extra wiring.

-Wombat
          Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

You have a good point there Wombat. I personally wouldn't consider buying computer equipment at places like Best Buy, Circuit City, or even Fry's Electronics (Calif.) unless you already know exactly what you want and can find a good price there for that particular part. I'm fortunate to live in the Silicon Valley area where there are many shops that only sell computers -- they know what they're doing, and their prices are usually better as well.
            My rig: P4 3.0GHz; Asus P4C800E; 1GB DDR 3200; AIW Radeon 9800 Pro; WD 120GB SATA; Plextor DVD burner; Liteon DVD reader; Audigy 2ZS; Logitech Z560 4.1; NEC FE991SB

Kid's rig: AMD XP 1600+; 512MB ram; GF4 Ti4600; Maxtor 60GB; Plextor CD burner; Sony DVD reader; SB Live; Cambridge 4.1 speakers; NEC FE991SB

Other kid's rig: Athlon 2700+; ASUS A7N8X mobo; 512MB PC3200 ram; GF4 Ti4600; Maxtor 80GB; SB Live; Cambridge 2.1; NEC FE991SB; Liteon DVD-ROM

Comment

Thanks fellas,I think i'll try it out.It's at Cosco so I can take it back if it sucks.
              gobrob

Comment

I got a Hitachi SuperScan Elite 751 from Onvia.com for the same money (free shipping) a few months ago. The 751 got top marks from every reviewer who saw it.

I just checked Onvia. They have the 752 for $477, so for $30 more than the KDS, you could get .22 dot pitch and better refresh rates (not to mention a consistently excellent picture).

Comment

The 751 is a great monitor. My roommate has one, and so does my neighbor. I don't know about the 752, I couldn't find much information/reviews. However, the reviews I've seen of the 753 are all bad. In the last few months, the price of the 751 has actually gone up from US$410 to US$450.

Comment

I'll second that! The 751 (or even better 752) are really sweet monitors!
                    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Wombat - they run the monitor rack at 60hz as to not overdrive the small ones
                      abit kt7-raid athlon 1ghz quantum 20.4gb - 7200 + wd 200bb - 7200 rpm UDMA100-
                      g400 max-
                      256MB pc133 sdram - sblive value 3.0 - 4 Boston Acoustics A40's - 3com 3c905b-tx - cable access - winME
                      dx7.?- V3 steering wheel/pedals - MS sidewinder PRO
                      Kensiko (Netpointe) scrolling mouse

Comment

Working...
                      X