New ISP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New ISP

So, I changed ISP, because FTTH is cheaper than ADSL and it became possible:

Local test:

Switzerland:

You have 3x more upload compared to Download ?
    PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
    Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
    +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

Actually advertised is 20Mb symmetric, but since test server is probably using same ISP i get more. With foreign servers I get 20/20.

Comment

Cool
        PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
        Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
        +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

lucky you.. here I can get 1Mb ADSL, or 25Mb Cablemodem... both charging big bucks. I actually live in the first town to experiment with Cable modems, back in 1995. No plans for FTTH here, just a few select buildings downtown
          We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

I'm on 50/1.5 with Virgin. I have trouble finding a speedtest.net server that can match it for the download but they do measure upload fairly repeatably.

At work the ISP is actually one of the speedtest hosts. Currently the office connection is 10/0.5 and costs £65/month. The next step up is 20/0.75 and costs twice as much. SDSL is even more. They could set the upload speed to anything they want but choose to mirror typical UK ADSL offerings. I've tried negotiating for something that gives better upload (which we need) without the extra download (which we don't need) but the response is just 'upload is a premium product'.

Sending email to more than a handful of clients at once from the office Exchange box is crippling on that line, despite the throttling I am doing using the router configuration
            FT.

Comment

I'm paying 26 EUR/month for symmetric 20Mb fiber. 4/1 VDSL I had before was 24 (27 since last month)/month.

Comment

Working...
              X