Switching scsi hard drive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Switching scsi hard drive?

This is a Compaq Deskpro p166 32megs memory 1 gig scsi harddrive connected to an Adaptec controller
    I want to put in a 2 gig scsi hard drive.
    My questions are:
    Can I just pull the old drive and put in the new one,as one would do with ide hard drives?
    Is it through bios that the controller card is detected?
    What would be the best approach to making this switch.
    After the switch would I just fdisk and format as with ide?
    Does the controller card need specific drivers or is just recognized?
    Any help would be appreciated (i'm not familiar with scsi devices,so pardon my ignorance!)

Hi Alfie,
    if this 2GB drive is the only scsi device in your system make sure that termination on the drive is set properly and that its scsi id is set to zero. Although adaptec controllers don't require the drive to be set to id zero it has to be different from the controller's id (usually 7). Your drive should have three ID jumpers (those have to be open for ID 0) and depending on the manufacturer of the drive it has active or passive termination. Active termination is usually done by an electronic device on the pcb of the drive and it is set to on or off by a jumper (term on or off, depending on the manufacturer). There could also be a jumper for termpower. This one can be left on. Passive termination usually can be determined by identifying resistor packs near the flat ribbon cable connector of the drive. There can be one dual inline resistor array, or two to three single inline resistor packs. If you have only one drive it should be terminated and connected to the last plug of your scsi cable. It must not be connected somewhere in between the two ends of the cable! This would cause the signal to become distorted or damping to occur.
    If you have further questions you can always post another reply on this forum.
    If you could post the model # of your drive and manufacturer it would be easy to give more advice. If the drive has been connected to another host adaptor than adaptec it could be possible that the Cylinder/Heads/Sector translation scheme is different from adaptec's. In some cases low level formatting then has to be done via the controller's bios to correct the scheme.
    If that does not apply it is as simple as FDISK and FORMAT.

Puh. That's all for now.

Good luck!

Alegria

------------------
    The pump don't work, 'cause the vandals took the handle...
    Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Comment

Alegria,
      Thanks for the help,it was an IBM scsi set the jumper to id0 installed fdisk and format went okay.System up and running on win98se.
      Thanks again!
      ps. What are the row of jumpers next to the 5 id jumpers?(None were jumpered and everything is working fine,just curious)
      Thanks again!
      Alfie

Comment

Hello Alfie,
        it is a DORS drive isn't it?
        There are 4 ID Jumpers that you found already, following the IDs is the Automatic Spinup Enable/Disable Jumper, next one is Termination Enable/Disable. Those are the most important Jumpers. If you want to find out more about this drive have a look at the data sheets at IBM's storage division website http://www.storage.ibm.com/techsup/h...rs/dorsjum.htm

Have fun.

Best regards, Alegria

------------------
        Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Comment

Working...
        X