Car electronics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car electronics

An article in the magazine of the Institute of Engineers and Technologists, E&T, has stated that 50% of the value of an average car on the market today is in the electronics. The author has neither justified nor expanded the statement, so substantiation is not possible. However, by "electronics", I assume this includes software.

Obviously, sophisticated cars would have more than the average and simple cars less.
    Brian (the devil incarnate)

I really find that hard to believe, but if it were true it certainly would explain the price of vehicles today.
    Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

It sounds a lot...

However, I know that the central engine computer on my previous VW Polo costed about 1/7 th of the price of the car (it was replaced twice due to issues - luckily under warranty, but the dealer just told me the price). And that is just one component about the size of a standard dvd rom drive! I also had various options on it, but the standard car did have the same computer, so on the basic model it would have been over 1/6th of the price.
      Replacing the lambda prope on my current car was also expensive, and not only in labour. So if you add in other computers (ABS cotroller, ...), various sensors (engine, abs, airco, ...), wiring, displays, the 50% still seems high but not impossible... eps. if you then add in the software cost...
      pixar
      Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

50% is certainly possible.

Let's take even a basic $14K Honda Civic.

ECU - 800
        MAF/MAP sensor - 250
        O2 sensors - 300 for the pair
        Wiring harness - 1000
        Crank sensor - 100
        Cam sensor - 100
        ABS sensors - 300
        Airbag sensors - 300
        TPS - 100
        Throttle stepper motor - 200
        Injectors - 300
        Ignition coils - 200
        Coolant sensor - 50
        Oil pressure sensor - 50
        Fuel level sensor - 100
        Fuel Pump - 250
        Brake fluid sensor - 50
        Whatever sensors I'm forgetting - 600
        Switches, sensors, and motors for Power Windows/locks/mirrors/keyfob/wireless alarm - 800

Comment

Lights (headlights, taillights, turn signals, interior lights, etc) - 400
          Windshield wiper motors and electronics - 250
          Audio system - 300
          Gauge cluster - 600
          Alternator - 200

That's all I can think off of the top of my head. Prices are educated guestimates. Someone add that up.

Comment

It of course also depends on what is understood under "electronics"... I personally don't consider the lights to be it, but I can understand why one would.
            pixar
            Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

IMO, anything that has voltage running through it is electronics when it comes to a car.

Comment

ah, don't forget that replacement parts are charged out at 500-1000% their actual value.
                Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

Working...
                X