X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Consumer Reports: Lexus GX-460 unsafe

Link....

Consumer Reports' says Lexus GX 460 is too unsafe to buy

Consumer Reports is warning consumers not to buy the Lexus GX 460 SUV because it is a safety risk, the magazine editors say.

Despite coming equipped with electronic stability control, Consumer Reports says the SUV had trouble going through the paces of the magazine's emergency-handling tests.

"When pushed to its limits on a handling course on CR's test track, the rear of the GX CR purchased slid out until the vehicle was almost sideways before the electronic stability control system was able to regain control," reads a press release. The magazine said it "believes that in real-world driving, that situation could lead to a rollover accident, which could cause serious injury or death."

Toyota, the parent company of Lexus, did not return calls for comment. But Consumer Reports included a comment from a Lexus spokeswoman:
    >
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

And you think the Jeep Wrangler is any safer?

This is all just a bunch of drama hype nothing more.

Comment

I'm not so sure. CU could hardly be accused of being anti-Toyota. And their drivers put all the cars they test through the same maneuvers. They would take note if a car displayed odd or unexpected handling characteristics. Sounds like their beef is with the car having stability control that doesn't activate until it's too late.
      Chuck
      秋音的爸爸

Comment

On the news this morning that Toyota has suspended production of the GX-460.
        Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Wow, this is getting bigger than I thought, so what happens to the people who currently own those vehicles?

And what about other manufacturer's will they be scrutinized the same way to ensure safety?

Comment

Local news says this may extend to other models that use the same stability system. They're already testing all of Toyota's SUV's etc. Recalls will have to wait until the source of the problem is identified. Until then I'd be very, very careful with 'em at high speed or in inclement conditions.
            Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Originally posted by Elie View Post
              Wow, this is getting bigger than I thought, so what happens to the people who currently own those vehicles?

And what about other manufacturer's will they be scrutinized the same way to ensure safety?
              Sounds like Toyota was too busy trying to rush out product then testing them properly. Thus all the problems they are having with all these different products they have. They got too big too quick and are quickly turning into another GM.
              Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

Originally posted by GT98 View Post
                Sounds like Toyota was too busy trying to rush out product then testing them properly. Thus all the problems they are having with all these different products they have. They got too big too quick and are quickly turning into another GM.
                I haven't seen any reports about rolling over accidents yet (and if they do surface, ones that aren't fabricated). I wonder how much of this is just a campaign against successful foreign car manufacturers to aid sales numbers for nationalised US manufacturers.

Comment

A former high-ranking attorney for Toyota has alleged that the auto maker conspired to illegally conceal and withhold evidence in Toyota rollover lawsuits

Published: August 31st, 2009

A former high-ranking attorney for Toyota has alleged that the auto maker conspired to illegally conceal and withhold evidence in Toyota rollover lawsuits filed by consumers who claimed that vehicle design defects caused severe injuries.

Dimitrios P. Biller, former managing counsel for Toyota Motor Sales, USA Inc., has accused Toyota of withholding crucial evidence involving weak and poorly designed roofs used in SUVs and pick-ups, according to CBS News. Biller’s claims are part of a federal racketeering lawsuit filed against the company.

Biller worked for Toyota from 2003 to 2007 and was in charge of Toyota’s National Rollover Program, according to the complaint. The complaint suggests that Biller lost his job after repeatedly confronting Toyota officials with complaints that they were illegally withholding evidence in rollover lawsuits. Biller claims that he was told repeatedly by executives that Toyota had no intention of complying with its legal duty to turn over damaging evidence in Toyota rollover accidents.
                  >
                  http://www.mississippiaccidentlawyer...methodist.html

TEENAGER PARALYZED FROM TOYOTA ROLLOVER ACCIDENT NEAR LAUREL,MS

February 26, 2009

Posted In: Car Accidents , Car Wrecks , Personal Injury , Product Liability , Spinal Cord Injury
                  By Paul Snow on February 26, 2009 7:06 PM

Will Greaves sustained a spinal cord injury in a one vehicle rollover accident on 12-31-08 on Hwy. 84 near Laurel, MS. The New Year's Eve car wreck left him paralyzed from the waist down. Will has been receiving treatment in Jackson, MS hospitals since the accident.Will was driving a Toyota 4 Runner when it rolled over and flipped several times.

In May, 2005, Toyota recalled about 880,000 sport utility vehicles (SUVs) and pickup trucks worldwide because of a defect that could affect steering. In the United States, 774,856 Toyota SUVs and pickup trucks have been recalled, including the 2001-2004 model years of the Tacoma, and the 2001-2002 versions of the 4Runner.
                  >
                  and now this....

Toyota to recall 600,000 Sienna minivans

WASHINGTON (AP) — Toyota Motor (TM) said Friday it was recalling 600,000 Sienna minivans sold in the United States to address potential rusting spare tire cables that could break and create a road hazard in the latest safety problem to strike the beleaguered automaker.

The recall came as House investigators said they planned to hold another congressional hearing in May to review potential electronic problems in runaway Toyotas. The Japanese automaker has recalled more than 8 million vehicles because of faulty accelerator pedals, humbling a car company long known for its quality and safety.
                  >
                  Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 18 April 2010, 13:13.
                  Dr. Mordrid

Comment

The jury is in and 10,400 GX-460's will be recalled to update the Vehicle Stability Control system software.

Detroit News article....

"Our engineers have conducted tests to confirm the VSC performance issue raised by Consumer Reports, and we are confident this VSC software update addresses the concern," said Steve St. Angelo, Toyota Chief Quality Officer for North America.
                    Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Working...
                    X