Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• network question

Hello,

I have a temporary network setup and noticed some odd behaviour of my router.

My internet connection is by means of a USB modem. I use a linux installed in VMWare to address this modem. But I would also like to share the internet connection with other devices, with my linksys router as the dhcp server. So this is my setup:
    virtual linux:
    - wan: dials internet connection
    - lan: fixed ip 192.168.1.1
    linksys router:
    - wan: fixed ip 192.168.1.100
    - lan: fixed ip 192.168.2.1, acts as dhcp server for the range 192.168.2.x
    pc:
    - lan: gets ip from dchp

I then have connected the wan port of the router to one of its lan ports (I know this is far from ideal), thinking that it should work as there is only one dhcp server, and I'm using different subnets. And it works! But the wan lights and wireless (?) light are blinking like crazy when the cable is connected (even if there is no internet connection dialed). It always works for wired connections, but wireless connections cannot always be made.

My question is: why are those lights blinking like crazy? The wan-side has a fixed ip that is on a different subnet from the others, so it should not search for something.

I'm mainly curious. I know this setup is not ideal as traffic passes the router twice. It could be simpler, but the linksys router always sets itself as the gateway; if it were to allow me to choose a different gateway I would be able to put it all on the same subnet and not have to connect the wan port. I'll solve it by adding a second nic, which will be dedicated to the virtual linux and connected to the wan port (I know this works much better from tests with my laptop - connecting its wired nic to the wan port of the router, and using its wireless connection to connect to the router).

So, any thoughts as to why the router seems to be so occupied?

Jörg
    Last edited by VJ; 11 April 2010, 10:33.
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Sure, looks like u hit it on the head - passing through itself - the router CPU only has so much bandwidth - explains why wireless connections are hit and miss as well.

Comment

Yes, I just found it odd the router is so occupied if there is no traffic at all (of course, there will always be some control traffic passing though).
      The current lan-wan loop is just a temporarily solution, but I exepected it to go better. :-)

As the router always defines itself as gateway (despite what you enter on the website), I saw no other solution (I don't want to start editing network setting on the pc's).

Jörg
      pixar

Comment

Shouldn't the WAN be connected to your internet provider?

Comment

His modem is usb direct into PC

Comment

So it is what I suspected, but the wireless hit and miss did surprise me.
            I expected my throughput to be down by a lot (e.g. well below 50%), but still expected that everything would work. Of course, it is but a simple router, so not intended for big loads.

Elie:
            Internet provider is via a usb modem, connected to a virtual linux on the same pc. It is a complex setup... With a second nic, it is easier to grasp as you get 2 physical network segments: usbmodem -> linux -> nic -> wanport -> router -> local network. Now, as I have but one nic, I use 2 logical subnets on the same network segment to acchieve the same thing.

Jörg
            pixar

Comment

Working...
            X