• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Imminent homicides on US subs?

Just askng

Link....

No-Smoking Sections Go Underwater

The Navy is banning smoking inside its submarines and will stock nicotine patches and gum on board to help sailors quit. The new policy, which goes into effect no later than Dec. 31, was announced Thursday by Vice Adm. John J. Donnelly, commander of the Navy’s submarine forces. He said the decision followed a yearlong study on nine submarines that found unacceptable levels of secondhand smoke when the subs are submerged. The new policy allows individual commanders to decide whether their crews are permitted to smoke on deck while their subs are above water.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

I'm astounded there's any smoking allowed on subs!!!
    FT.

Comment

Yes, that was my reaction too!
      pixar
      Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Same here.
        There is/was smoking allowed INSIDE submarines?
        I fully expected the dateline to be April 1.
        Chuck
        秋音的爸爸

Comment

Originally posted by cjolley View Post
          Same here.
          There is/was smoking allowed INSIDE submarines?
          I fully expected the dateline to be April 1.
          "No longer is it allowed for the crew to step outside to have a smoke..."
          pixar
          Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Originally posted by VJ View Post
            "No longer is it allowed for the crew to step outside to have a smoke..."
            LOL
            I just assumed that if you were a smoker then a stint in an on station missile sub would probably not be a choice assignment...
            Chuck
            秋音的爸爸

Comment

In fact, smoking inside submarines had been largely forbidden since the early 1990's, by captain's orders, not naval regulations. Most captains allowed sailors to go topside for a smoke while surfaced. Now, smoking anywhere on the boat is against regulations.

I guarantee you this will be extended to the nuclear surface fleet within two years.

There are a lot of good reasons for this past the health of the sailors; Any of us here who have had to clean out a smoker's PC knows what I am talking about. Naval vessels are crammed with this kind of gear, and it finally dawned on the inspector general that maybe this kind of contamination can get expensive when it causes an unplanned outage or failure.

The navy isn't talking about the events that caused this change in regulations, but the rumor mill is that a older Los Angeles-Class boat had an incident involving a major environmental control system which was traced to tobacco "sludge" contamination.
              Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

Originally posted by MultimediaMan View Post
                Any of us here who have had to clean out a smoker's PC knows what I am talking about.
                NO SH*T!!!!

Grrrrrr......
                Dr. Mordrid
                ----------------------------
                An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Customer asks me if i can find out why his computer is bluescreening.
                  I take of the lid of a computer and sees the gummed up vidcard fan and cpu fan, and I ask the customer:
                  "Do you smoke?"
                  "Never in front of the computer!"
                  Uh hum do anyone believe that?
                  If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Working...
                  X