"Micron" memory? Any good?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Micron" memory? Any good?

I see prices for "Micron" memory. I thought the good stuff from micron was sold under the Crucial brand. And suppossedly it is very good. So, what is "Micron" memory?

The prices are reasonable. I've always purchased generic memory (but from a vendor I trust) and had good success. Are these micron chips in generic parts?

your help please...
    System: P4 2.4, 512k 533FSB, Giga-Byte GA-8PE667 Ultra, 1024MB Corsair XMS PC333, Maxtor D740x 60GB, Turtle Beach Santa Cruz, PCPower&Cooling Silencer 400.

Capture Drives (for now): IBM 36LZX 9.1, Quantum Atlas 10KII 9.1 on Adaptec 29160

Crucial is the memory sales arm of MICRON. When you percaise memory from Crucial you are getting Micron memory (chips) on their PCB, sold by them. Others manufacterers can buy the micron memory chips and mount them themselves for sale. Even CorsairMicro uses Micron memory chips on some of its modules as do others.
    The Micron memory chips are generaly of very high quality. They are one of the worlds largest memory makers, and maje their chips here in the USA. The Tiwanies are fighting hard to stop them from being able to import them there. Even with import duties they are a threat to the sales of their home built memory. Gotta love that!!!

Mark F.

------------------
    OH NO, my retractable cup holder swallowed a CD

Mark F. (A+, Network+, & CCNA)
    --------------------------------------------------
    OH NO, my retractable cup holder swallowed a DVD...
    and burped out a movie

Comment

Micron memory is generally considered one of the top 3 (if not number 1) consumer memories in the world. Mark F explained the whole chip selling thing very well, so I won't bother.

------------------
      Athlon 650, Biostar motherboard, 128 MB RAM, 27GB & 9 GB WD Expert HDD's, Plextor 8/4/32 CD-RW, CL 6x DVD, G400 32 MB DH, SB Live!, LinkSYS LNE 10/100 NIC, DigiCom 56k modem, modified Addtronics case.
      “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
      –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Micron SDRAM is top notch stuff, IMHO. I've got several sticks of theirs and they run beautifully for me.

Occasionally when you order "generic", the flavor of the day may be Micron. Usually it is not, though. If it is Micron, it will be plainly printed on the chips on the stick, if you know what their symbol looks like.

Comment

Has anyone ordered any memory from Mushkin? If so have you had good luck with their stuff?

tks

Rick
          Asus A7V133, Duron 750@847, 512mb PC133 Crucial RAM, G400 DH, Maxtor 7200rpm 40 & 15GB, Liteon 16/10/32, Samsung 12x DVD, SB-Live, D-Link NIC

Comment

I almost ordered from Mushkin, but went for Crucial. Make sure you order on-line, b/c you get 10% off. Last I looked, 128MB of PC133 RAM was about $200, and my Athlon board loves it to pieces.
            Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

It just so happens I got my order today from Crucial, and I paid under $150 for a 128MB stick of PC133 from them. They usually have as good a price as any out there, and have the added bonus of being very good quality memory as well.

The only brands that could really be argued as better than Micron are probably Corsair (which I use in my home server.. it is awesome stuff) and the HSDRAM sold by pc133memory.com. The latter is more stable at bus speeds over 133MHz. These cost considerably more though.

If you want to spend the going rate for generic SDRAM, you don't have any excuse not to get the good Micron stuff from Crucial.. It's the same price for better memory.

------------------
              Kind Regards,

KvH

Comment

Mushkin also sells good quality memory,as does Memoryman.
                Buying from any of the 3 companies is highly advised.

Comment

Working...
                X