Rebuilding Detroit: the maps and plans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rebuilding Detroit: the maps and plans

It'll take more than these changes, people will have to change attitudes too, but it looks like a good start. Newly minted Mayor Dave Bing, a former Detroit Piston basketball player and longtime highly respected businessman in the area known for his candor, has really taken the bull by the horns with this one.

Better yet is that most of the City Council was replaced by frustrated voters in an election this spring, a major house cleaning that brought in enough pro-reformers, and a new Chair and Vice-Chair, to make for a majority on the council.

Maybe there is hope after all.....

Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Nothing they do to the schools will matter if they can't destroy the culture of willful ignorance that pervades not just Detroit but the entire nation. As long as black youth revile getting an education and bettering themselves as "acting white" and white kids think being ignorant makes them "cool" like the Fonz, nothing will change.

As for the rest of the plans, they're pretty ambitious. But I doubt many investors will sink a whole lot of money into the city as long as it has that urban decay stigma, which will continue until Detroit society as a whole changes in a VERY fundamental way.

Kevin

Comment

Working...
    X