Cars vs. cosmic rays

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cars vs. cosmic rays

This puts an entirely new light on the unintended acceleration issue. Cosmic rays, actually high velocity particles, 90% of them protons, and particle cascades caused by the atmosphere stopping primary cosmic particles, can be very powerful. Not surprising since the highest energy of them are protons accelerated by black holes.

MSNBC Cosmic Log....

Cars vs. cosmic rays

Could cosmic rays affect electronics here on Earth? Yes, absolutely. Could cosmic rays be what's causing the mysterious accelerator problems in Toyota cars? Maybe. That's one of the reasons why a NASA engineering team has been called in to assist in a federal investigation.

The team - drawn from the NASA Engineering and Safety Center, or NESC - serves as the space agency's rapid-response unit for engineering expertise. It was set up in the wake of the 2003 Columbia tragedy, in response to investigators' concerns that NASA didn't have an independent safety watchdog.
    >
    However, the Toyota investigation apparently represents a new frontier: "To our knowledge, this is the first time the NESC has done anything related to automobiles," Henry said.
    >
    The cosmic-ray connection

Cosmic rays? Hitting cars? The connection made headlines last month when the Detroit Free Press reported that subatomic particles from outer space were being considered as a potential cause of the accelerator glitches. The report cited an anonymous memo sent to the National Highway Transportation Safety Board, complaining that "the automotive industry has yet to truly anticipate" the effects of cosmic radiation.

Earth's atmosphere stops most of the dangerous cosmic rays that zoom in from outer space, but some particles get through nevertheless. If those particles hit electronic chips, they can spark unpredictable little jolts of energy in the circuitry, potentially flipping bits out of their proper state. In space, cosmic rays can scramble the brains of a Mars orbiter. At high altitudes, they could bring an airplane to the brink of disaster. And on the ground, they can crash computers and reset routers.

Engineers try to make sure that the circuits they design are robust enough to weather cosmic rays, and Toyota insists its electronics are not at fault. But experts say that as the circuitry in our cars gets more sophisticated, cosmic rays become more of a concern.
    >
    Two years ago, Intel senior scientist Eric Hannah said it was just a matter of time before the cosmic-ray problem started affecting cars. "It's strange, but this is the reality we're moving into as we get smaller and smaller circuits," he told the BBC.
    >
    The Toyota accelerator investigation, led by the NHTSA, is due to be completed by late summer. The National Academy of Sciences' Transportation Research Board will also be studying the issues surrounding automotive electronics on an industrywide basis over the course of the next 15 months.
    >
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 3 April 2010, 22:07.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

My bet is condensation on an electrical part or a short in a connector or wire trace caused as a result of corrosion or condensation. Cars are very hard on electronics: the radical shifts in the interior and engine compartment environments (temperature, humidity, and airflow) make diagnosing the problem difficult: they are all transient conditions.

If we have problems with cosmic rays in cars, we'd see it in smartphones and GPS devices long before something as (relatively) simple as a mapped EFI computer.
    Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

Studies by IBM in the 90's concluded that computers experience about one cosmic-ray-induced error per 256 megs of RAM per month, and that was with far larger circuit elements than are used today. Just recently it was proposed that a cosmic ray detector be integrated into future processors, allowing it to repeat the last command following a cosmic-ray event. There have also been several air crashes where the suspected problem was an electronic failure in the flight control system due to a cosmic ray event, and commercial aircraft have some of the most hardened electronics around.
      Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 3 April 2010, 22:17.
      Dr. Mordrid
      ----------------------------
      An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Pure speculation at this stage!
        Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

It was a Higgs-Boson particle that did it, and he ran away with a Leprechaun.

They just want to know if this is going to start to be a regular occurence.
          If it is, they may have to start increasing insurance for those in affected areas/vehicles.

It will all be driven by money in the end, not our safety.
          PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
          Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
          +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

Well, wasn't it expected that nasa would search to problem in space?

But seriously: I read an article in a Belgian newspaper that hinted at overhead powerlines interfering with vehicle electronics. In the article it was claimed that the majority of unintended accellerations was under high voltage powerlines...

There are so many speculations going on, it makes me curious...
            pixar
            Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

I remember seeing one report from the US recently of a Toyota going mad and veering to the rite and crashing. I coincided with going under high tension power lines at the time.
              paulw

Comment

Working...
              X