X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arctic sea ice approaching normal for first time since 2001

Offered without comment:

According to National Snow and Ice Data Center (NSIDC):

Barring an about face by nature or adjustments, it appears that for the first time since 2001, Arctic Sea ice will hit the “normal” line as defined by the National Snow and Ice Data Center (NSIDC) for this time of year.

NSIDC puts out an article about once a month called the Sea Ice News. It generally highlights any bad news they can find about the disappearance of Arctic ice. Last month’s news led with this sentence.

"In February, Arctic sea ice extent continued to track below the average, and near the levels observed for February 2007."

But March brought good news for the Polar Bears, and bad news for the Catlin Expedition and any others looking for bad news. Instead of ice extent declining through March like it usually does, it continued to increase through the month and is now at the high (so far) for the year.

If it keeps this trend unabated, in a day or two it will likely cross the “normal” line.
    I'm mostly intrigued by the apparent cyclic nature of the included graphs. I'd like to see comparisons to previous decades' measurements.

Kevin

Originally posted by KRSESQ View Post
    I'm mostly intrigued by the apparent cyclic nature of the included graphs.

Kevin
    Intrigued? A little bit that this was made public. If it does cross that 'normal' line it'll be buried on page 128 section Z of the New York Times, if it's even published, and some university educated idiot will find a way to blame the excess ice on global warming
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 1 April 2010, 14:45.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid View Post
      ...some university educated idiot will find a way to blame the excess ice on global warming
      I'm sure it's much better to trust the opinion of someone who isn't educated.

That way you can believe whichever web site says what you want to hear.
      Chuck
      秋音的爸爸

Comment

Reasonably good credentials: University of Colorado at Boulder.

Kevin

Comment

Herein Lies The Problem: If Arctic Ice is approaching normal levels (I am not vouching for or against this), then why aren't the supposedly open and impartial scientists reporting on it?

There is something fishy going on: Selective reporting, data omission and a total disregard for openness. Where I work, even the appearance of such behavior would at the very least trigger an inquiry from management.
          Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

Originally posted by MultimediaMan View Post
            There is something fishy going on: Selective reporting, data omission and a total disregard for openness. Where I work, even the appearance of such behavior would at the very least trigger an inquiry from management.
            All well and good, but what if it's the management is who are selectively reporting, omitting data or showing a disregard for openness? Therein lies the root of the problem across the climate community.
            Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 2 April 2010, 11:40.
            Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Don't worry they've found a new worry. The ice is thinner now so the volume is less than before so it's still below normal.
              As ever the warmist move the goalposts.
              Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
              Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

A NASA vid showing the ice extent growing this winter: http://www.nasa.gov/topics/earth/fea...-max-2010.html
                FT.

Comment

Business Week....

Bloomberg

Arctic Sea Ice Melting Season Posts Latest Start on Record

April 6 (Bloomberg) -- The extent of sea ice over the Arctic Ocean grew until the last day of March, the latest the annual melting season has begun in 31 years of satellite records, the U.S. National Snow and Ice Data Center said.

Cold weather and winds from the north over the Bering Sea and Barents Sea meant that the area of ocean covered by ice expanded through last month, the Boulder, Colorado-based center said today in a statement on its Web site. That’s two days later than in 1999, the previous latest start to a melting season since satellite monitoring began in 1979.
                  >
                  Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Working...
                  X