Uhh...Houston...we have a problem...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uhh...Houston...we have a problem...

Does anybody know what might be wrong with a hard drive when a hard drive utility made from the hard drive manufacture syas it's not their hard drive? Data have been corrupting all over the place in my Wester Digita 10.2 Caviar. It is not one of the models being recalled. (it missed the manufacture time period by a couple of months).

At first Windows didn't want to run, and then all the data went caput in a way such at when I make a directory called win98 after I boot in from the win98 CD, it turns up on the screen as WHN88. But typing cd\win98 gets me into the directory. The does not happen when I switch to my d: drive, which is a 6.4 Caviar. using another cable or different master/slave arrangments doesn't help.

I'm lost...and I have so much information in the HD that needs to be saved...

Green

It's not a typo...it's probably corrupt graphics generated by your overclocked video card...

Uhh that sound very bad... I think you should call WD. I hate WD drives, but thier tech support is accetable. Give it a try, maybe they can help you.. I personally have no other ideas. Try to get the latest version of thier software, see if that helps as all, or give you some insight into the problem

------------------
    PIII 450 @ 504
    generic BX motherboard
    G400 MAX : )
    Maxtor 13 gig UDMA 33
    Maxtor 13 gig UDMA 66
    Creative 36x CD-ROM
    HP 2x2x6x CD-RW
    64 megs PC100 RAM
    128 megs PC133 ECC RAM
    NetGear 10/100
    Soundblaster 32 AWE
    Diamond SupraExpress 56k
    Logitech Wireless Desktop (best $50 ive ever spent)
    1 92mm Sunon Fan
    4 80mm Sunon Fan's

Comment

The first thing, is not to let the floppy disk with the hardrive utility, to get within a hundred feet of your computer. Do not install the utility. I have five Western Digital Hardrives and have no problems. The drives are in a removable rack system, that can be removed and installed as required. Delete the utility, if it is still on your system. Create a boot disk, including Fdisk and Format files, partition the drive and format it.
      Designer

Comment

Green, I had a similar problem when I had a unbadged CDROM sharing the same IDE channel as the Master hard drive, sometimes it would seem to work ok but pulling up certain menus in Windows would reveal strange characters and eventually everything would grind to a halt with bad sectors all over the place and a windows reinstallation being needed. Took ages to fix because different things kept happening. Eventually I put the CDROM on the secondary channel and all has been fine ever since. I know you said you've tried moving the drive around, but has it been sharing with a CDROM at all?

Vic
        (Also a Quantum Fan)

Comment

Working...
        X