Volt test production starts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Volt test production starts

Test production means cars built on the real production lines but for evaluation of the procedures and tooling; essentially they are 99% plus ready to go when it reaches this stage. Software development has about 4 more months to go.

Post-Federal tax credit price looks to be in the $29,500 range due to a larger than expected drop in the cost of the batteries from the original estimate of $1,000/kwh to just $400-$450/kwh. The US Govt. has dibs on the first 100 Volts produced for their fleet.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

$29.500US, with $1US=$0.98cdn, It would end up here at $40K or so, I would think

I forget, how was it they were dealing with heating the interior in winter time.. excess heat from the generator?
    We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

Typical winter start condition would be for it to be plugged in at home, during which time the car can be pre-programmed (either by the dash touch screen or your iPhone) to pre-heat before you leave. During the drive the car is superinsulated plus it scavenges heat from the batteries and about everywhere else before it fires up some new-tech electric heaters that'll be used in a lot of EV, hybrid and plug-in vehicles. When it's in charge sustaining mode, or in deep cold, the generator fires up to get more amps to the heaters. Tested to to -40F and it only lost a couple miles of EV range doing this.
      Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid View Post
        Typical winter start condition would be for it to be plugged in at home
        What when you cannot plug it in?
        pixar
        Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Optional roof solar array and that range extender generator can come on for a few to help heat if it's really cold.
          Dr. Mordrid

Comment

So, thinking ahead, what kind of power do I need to bring to the garage to get the fastest charging time?... as in, how many amps / what voltage can I charge with?
            We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

Charges on 120/15 amp in 8 hours and the SAE J1772 EV connector spec it complies with can handle up to 80 amps @ 240v, though GM says 3 hours using a standard 240/30 amp connector. The charger is smart, and programmable either directly using the touch screen or via iPhone app, so it knows the difference. Cost is <= $1 per 40 mile charge here (as low as $0.40/charge if you have low rates). That translates into <= $30 per month to drive 1,200 miles if you drive 40 miles/day and presuming the range extender doesn't come on.

Heard a rumor that the touch screen can use skins (at least experimentally - 4 months of programming to go) and that one someone created was a Star Trek TNG style interface.
              Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 1 April 2010, 12:47.
              Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Working...
              X