Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's a good DVD Drive for G400DH32 and Sblive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's a good DVD Drive for G400DH32 and Sblive?

I have no idea here. I'm about to fling my 40xCD and purchase a DVD, but I know very little about these things as yet. I know a drive and decoder card are the way to go, but what's a good part for the above combo? Are there any possible pitfalls. I presume a Creative Encore 5x or 6x would be a good call?
    Any advice would be much appreciated.
    Thanks in advance
    Jas
    MiNIoN
    helixx_@hotmail.com

BAH!! Decoder cards.. BAH!!!

I'd stay away from them since teh video pass through degraded my video quality and made it look like an OEM TNT... ugh..

Any ways.. I have a G400 32MB DH and, SB Live! 1024, and a Pioneer DVD-104 (the slot loading one!) and my stuff is SCWEET!!

minus the unrelated boot problem i had before

So far, from what ihave seen in decoder cards, the G400 TV out and on screen display, is way better than a DxR2 or DxR3, but, that just might be some internal bias of mine or that they have crappier hardware than I do overall.

Aside from having to reboot to use TV-out its not that much of a problem. Also, with PowerDVD 2.55 the SB Live! can do BOTH Dolby Digital and DTS pass-through.

CB
    Abit BX6 Rev.1
    Celeron 366A PPGA @ 566, 2.1v
    192 meg RAM, CAS2
    13.0 gig Maxtor 4320 HD
    6.0 gig Maxtor (in removeable drive bay)
    HP8110i 4x2x24
    Pioneer DVD-104
    SB Live! 1024
    USB ZIP 100
    G400 32MB DH 5ns RAM at 187/211
    Two KDS 17" Trinitron monitors
    YAMAHA HTR-5140 Reciever

Comment

I too have a g400 32mb dh, sb live (value) and Pioneer dvd-104, which is far better than the creative 48x cd that i had before. It installed perfectly well but when I re-installed w98, which I needed to do anyway, I couldn't see the dvd in explorer. After much fretting and re-installation, I finally got access to it. When I then installed the sb live drivers it disappeared from explorer as the sb16 emulation was being installed. When I went to device manager and disabled the sb16 emulation, the dvd magically re-appeared in explorer.

The outcome is that I now have a fully working dvd drive on which to watch films and all for the price of £70, which beats the £250 odd I would have had to pay for a dvd player for my tv.

Comment

I've been using my Toshiba SD-M1212 DVD drive for some time now and had no problems.

Got a G400 Max and a P3/600 with 192MB and no decoder. Playback is smooth but not as good when compared to hifi players. The colourbalance and contrast always seem to be a bit of track.

live forever,

Tomi

Comment

I use the Pioneer S303 on my G400 32MB DH and Celeron333A@500 ...

Creamy ... not need for a decoder !

------------------
          Cheers,
          Maggi

Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...
          Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
          Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
          be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
          4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
          2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
          OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
          4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
          Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
          Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
          LG BH10LS38
          LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

BananaMan.. are you using Win98 or Win98SE?

just wondering..

Any ways, I had the same disppearing drive thing. Except it was with my USB drive. Happened after I installed my DVD drive. Went away! I reinstalled win98se with no help. Then, prompted by other problems withmy comp. I deleted the windows dircetory and reinstalled Win98SE, defragmented, and now my stuff is flying!

CB
            Abit BX6 Rev.1
            Celeron 366A PPGA @ 566, 2.1v
            192 meg RAM, CAS2
            13.0 gig Maxtor 4320 HD
            6.0 gig Maxtor (in removeable drive bay)
            HP8110i 4x2x24
            Pioneer DVD-104
            SB Live! 1024
            USB ZIP 100
            G400 32MB DH 5ns RAM at 187/211
            Two KDS 17" Trinitron monitors
            YAMAHA HTR-5140 Reciever

Comment

Crazybee...

I have w98, not w98se.

I have to say that I am really pleased with the quality and the slot loading is great. My only niggle is that it doesnt have a remote control so i have to get up and press some keys on the keyboard but thats just me being lazy.

Comment

Working...
              X