Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ocUK 550@800 Athlon compatible with ASUS K7M?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ocUK 550@800 Athlon compatible with ASUS K7M?

Tony, simply put, the K7M is a suckA** design! It should never be considered for it's ability to change the FSB (none can do more than 110mHz. Also when OCing Athlon's it's imperative to have the best cooling and I might add that's not possible with the K7M due to it's shortened depth. Even though the Alpha P7125 HS (#1 rated HS for Athlons) has a cutout to allow for the placement of the power connector, it's shortened depth will only allow use of 2 of the 3 memory sockets. Additionally with as many BIOS problems it has, I'd never consider it (have tested) or reccommend it... even to my worst enemy!

If you can find an MSI K7Pro i'd suggest that, else only the MSI 6167 (which I have). I'm a bit conservative (suprisingly!!!) so at this time I won't reccommend the newer KX133's (just now hitting the streets) until I personally test one.

------------------
    Designer of the first commercial Athlon mod.
    Anyone up for an Athlon800+? Email me (epc@netdirect.net) for more information

3000 mips, 1.172 gflops @ 900 mHz 1:3 latency w/ active cooling
    CPUmark99 75
    FPU Winmark 4890

3Dmark 99 Max (8x6 16, 16, triple) PD5.41, Athlon@850mHz

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

The K7M does not 'like' CPU's 800MHz or above with its current BIOS. It will just bleep at you and fail to boot.

Comment

You think the ASUS K7M is bad, you should see my motherboard. I got a 'special' motherboard from AMD (through a 'special' retailer program). It has UDMA 66, AGP 4x, PC133 RAM and 133 MHz fsb support. I have not played with it much (rassa frack'n power supply blew up my hard drives and my ASUS P3B-F) but I am going to put together a makeshift Athlon System tonight.

Anyway, the voltage regulator transistors are standing up on the board behind the CPU and are connected to HUGE heatsinks. These babies are almost as tall as the CPU!!! There is about a 2 cm gap between the CPU and heatsink, so no rear cooling on this board. There is on the other hand, a HUGE space between the front of the CPU and the ATX power connector. More than enough room for an Alpha cooler.

Jammrock

------------------
      Athlon 650, Biostar motherboard, 128 MB RAM, 27GB & 9 GB WD Expert HDD's, Plextor 8/4/32 CD-RW, CL 6x DVD, G400 32 MB DH, SB Live!, LinkSYS LNE 10/100 NIC, DigiCom 56k modem, modified Addtronics case.
      “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
      –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

ocUK 550@800 Athlon compatible with ASUS K7M?

I know it shound like a daft question, but if you read the overclockers.co.uk CPU page, it says of the above product:

"...guaranteed to 800MHz for Biostar, Gigabyte and MSI motherboards only..."

Can someone please confirm that it is just badly written before I part with hard-earned cash? I was settling on the ASUS for its FSB speed options and availability before I read this.

Cheers, Tony.
        FT.

Comment

Working...
        X