Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Media center software

Hello,

I'm looking for a media center application that runs on Server 2008. So far, I've tried xbmc and MediaPortal. While both install (the latter giving warnings), I can't seem to get them to run properly: xbmc crashes at application launch, MediaPortal gives an error about DirectX, and basically presents me with a empty window. One cause of the problems could be the videocard: it is a Parhelia...

MediaPortal lists that it needs a DirectX 9 compliant GPU, but lists at the same time it is compatible with the Parhelia:

(I can find this on different sources; on the forum it is mentioned that DirectX 8.1 ought to be sufficient. I'm pretty sure I tried MediaPortal on this computer, but some 4 years ago. But the problem could be with Server 2008 - or the video driver)

XBMC mentions OpenGL 1.3 or DirectX 9, but I find no references to it working with the Parhelia.

My first question is: should any of these two work with the combination? If not, there is no point in me looking any further. But I just can't seem to find the proper resource.
    Second question is obvious: if it should work, any thoughts on how to troubleshoot?

I'll also try Moovida, I suspect it has lower requirements....

Thanks!

Jörg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Silly problem: in the display properties, troubleshooting tab, the slider of "video acceleration" was not in the rightmost position. Somehow, after installing the drivers, this was set by default on something slower.

I can get xbmc and moovida to work. MediaPortal exhibits the same problem, but doesn't give the warning message. Either way, I think xbmc or moovida will do just fine.
    pixar

Comment

forget media porta

l
      Does MediaPortal run on Windows Vista (pre Service Pack 1) , Windows Server 2003 , Windows Server 2008 or Windows XP/Vista with Beta Service Pack versions?

These versions of windows are not officially supported by the MediaPortal Team. Especially Windows 2000 and the server versions of Windows lack of the Stream Buffer Engine (SBE) by Microsoft which MediaPortal relies on for watching TV. More informtion can be found on the
      Our new Wiki offers 5511 pages on how to install, setup, use, customize and contribute to MediaPortal.

Comment

Well, I would only be using it for watching video files, photos and maybe playback music.

But the other two should suffice.

Any other recommendations to try out?
        Main features I'm looking for are: 10-foot interface, capability of playing back .iso, integrated web browser, playback of youtube and other clip sites, ...
        pixar

Comment

get a hardware media player, like the popcorn hour, or wd live
          We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

Yes, I know that might be the easiest, but I'm temporarily abroad and don't want to purchase too much things (I'd have to move them back ).

I had a great dedicated media computer configured, but it got damaged in shipping. So now I'm just using a different computer to get the job done. I hoped it would be able to run a virtual machine with a dedicated media center os, but video playback is too slow for this to work, so I needed a pure software solution. Mainly, I want to browse my dvds (in .iso format), and playback other media.

Jörg
            pixar

Comment

Well, XMBC appears to work, but gives me a white screen. Apparently, it needs Pixel shader 2.0, which my Parhelia doesn't have. This means Boxee is out of the picture as well.

MediaPortal states that it lacks some DirectX support, which I assume is also the pixel shader. In full screen mode, it starts initializing DirectX but hangs at the splash screen; in windowed mode it shows the message about missing directX support and simply renders a transparent window.

This is so stupid, I have used MediaPortal in the past, it worked when my Parhelia was new, so they managed back then. Maybe it is the Server2008, so I might try with another OS... The hotfixes that Mediaportal refers to and are lacking for Server2008 relate to capture cards, but I don't have any of those.

Moovida seems to work, but I have I hard time working out how to configure it so that it supports more file types.
              pixar

Comment

Originally posted by VJ View Post
                Yes, I know that might be the easiest, but I'm temporarily abroad and don't want to purchase too much things (I'd have to move them back ).

Jörg
                a hardware media player is smaller than a DVD drive, so it should not be much of an issue to fit when you pack up, and can play back HD content much better than I have experienced in windows

Comment

Can it play back .iso files? Before coming here, I ripped my dvds to .iso files and have quite a lot of them...
                  The Lacie Lacinema Mini HD looks interesting:

iso is mentioned as a supported extension (no menus), but I'm not sure it will play it from network. But I can put it on an external usb disk...
                  This is looking more and more interesting... but Lacie is virtually impossible to find here... (my parents are visiting in 2 months time though )
                  The TViX range also looks interesting...

I've installed Windows 7, but MediaPortal is behaving in exactly the same way. Odd, as the Parhelia is on their supported hardware list. Windows Media Center is also failing to play back video, but Windows Media Player can play back things. Currently, Moovida is the only software solution that appears to work (even in Server2008), but I haven't managed to have it play back iso files yet.

Jörg
                  Last edited by VJ; 30 March 2010, 01:22.
                  pixar

Comment

Tjalfe: I've been looking more closely at those media streamers...

The TViX models are interesting, and I'm now considering either the HD-M6600N or the HD-N1

The 6600 is a thad more expensive, but the advantages are: wifi network (802.11n), internal harddisk, display and better cpu. Both devices can play back iso files (with menus!), and they should be able to play back backed up blu-ray disks as well (allthough the N1 may have to resort to some "lite" mode).

Any comment on those?

It would be a nicer solution than using the computer: less noise, no hassle with software...

Jörg
                    pixar

Comment

I looked at the tvix models too, some 2 years ago when I bought a media player. I ended up with the popcorn hour A-100, which is now obsolete. It already back then played .ISO's with menus, just like you were watching the DVD directly, and it supported streaming from my computer, internal HDD, or USB. I am now running it with no hard drive, streaming 1080p .MKV files from my computer, which it does beautifully

as for what is the best deal these days, I suggest looking through the AVS forum, dedicated to such players

A forum dedicated to devices that are digital media servers and content streamers and the networking that goes with it.

some being Linux based, there are all sorts of hacks for tweaking the interface too.
                      The cheapest media player I have seen here in stores has been as low as $39CDN, with HD models being around $120-$140CDN

Comment

I noticed the Lacie does not play back iso with menus, just the movie. But the tvix and popcornhour do. I'm not sure about the ac ryan (but I think it does).

So far, I'd like to have these features:
                        - playback of iso with menus
                        - broad support for subtitles
                        - support for BD images (but this seems limited on all of them, both tvix models play should be able to play back the movie)

Nice to have would be:
                        - wifi (for the future)
                        - harddisk (preferably internal)

The devices are however quite uncommon here (and thus expensive). Chances are I'll order it in Belgium, and ask my parents to bring it with then when they come here in just over a month. This week I found a shop which offers quite a discount on the tvix 6600... But it still is well over 200 euro. Even the tvix n1 is around 100 euro. The hdx bd1 supports bluray structures, and is cheaper than the tvix 6600 (but lacks wifi). Dunno what is more important to me yet...

I'll probably go this route rather than a software solution: less hassle, the computer doesn't have to be powered (and it is relatively noisy), I'd have remote control, ...
                        For I brief moment, I considered the Playstation 3, but it doesn't play back iso (it does if you stream them with specific software from a PC, but of course it implies the pc is running also). While I think it should be possible to use it; it will be more of a hassle... Still not sure yet...
                        Last edited by VJ; 30 March 2010, 07:25.
                        pixar

Comment

Did a bit more searching...
                          While the HDX-BD1 looks the most interesting one featurewise, I have the impression it has the least mature firmware (which of course can break a device like this). Also, user guides are still impossible to find.

The TViX HD-M6600N is very interesting, but the display is rather limited (just shows mode and time), and it lacks component output (not sure if I'll need it). The TViX HD-N1 has no wifi, but can support it through USB (or of course a bridge). This may have the advantage of being able to position the antenna better (seems esp. useful if you put the device in a cabinet) but adds clutter if you don't put it in a cabinet; even adding such an adapter would still keep the price well below that of the 6600. For now, I don't need wifi and will put it in the open.
                          Basically the advantages the 6600 has over the N1 are the built in harddrive option, better CPU and more memory. The latter one intrigues me though, but the device seems to offer no broader support of formats because of this (even BD support will be lite). I can only assume it may help to properly decode files with higher bitrates... (the specs list containers and file formats, but not maximum bitrates)

So, it is down to the N1 (cheaper, 139 euro, sufficiant for my current needs) or the 6600 (more expensive, 259 euro, possibly more future proof). I usually tend to look for more future proof devices, but now I'm tempted by the cheapest option: even though I have a suitable harddrive I could use (and internal storage can be useful), I don't think it justifies the price difference...

Jörg
                          pixar

Comment

as mentioned, I just stream from my main computer these days. My popcorn hour is so old that it only supported IDE drives, and the one drive I had was noisy. I was not about to buy a 750GB IDE drive just for it, which would cost more than the 1.5TB drives I currently use in my main computer

the popcorn hour has no display on the box, which I don't really miss, I read everything on the screen itself, and pressing the info button will show you the file name, time running, bit rates etc.

as for outputs, HDMI is really the only kind you need, unless your tv is too old to support it.

Ever since I got one of these players, I have not even wanted to hook up my HTPC, (which is now old and slow anyways). They play content nicer, much quieter and cost nothing to run in power compared to a full blown PC

Comment

I would be using it with a projector, which is why a display could be more convenient. But the display on the 6600 is too limited: from the manual I gather it just shows the mode (photo/video/movie/...) and the time (maybe filename?). Nothing I think that would allow you to control it without a monitor connected, so just limited added value.

My initial plan was to use my htpc, but ups decided differently (it would also allow a bit of gaming and webbrowsing). I'm not going go buy a new full fledged pc here (more expensive), and those more expensive network players come close to e.g. an Asus eebox or mini-itx pc (which I think I would prefer). So I'll go with the TViX HD-N1... Stupid that it is so much more expensive here; I'll have to ask my parents to buy it and bring it when they come over here next month.

Jörg
                              pixar

Comment

Working...
                              X