My absence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My absence

It's been a while since I've posted, so I guess an update is due my friends here.

2 weeks ago a sore appeared on my right little toe, one that rapidly went south because in no small part to my diabetes plus it being a nasty bug. The short version is that my right little toe and most of its metatarsal (the long foot bones) had to be amputated and a skin graft done to cover the resulting wound (skin shaved from my thigh).

I've had a total of 3 surgeries in the last 10 days; the amputation, a 'cleanup' surgery and the last one yesterday where more cleanup and the graft were done. I was discharged at 9:00 PM tonight. No weight bearing on it for 1 week, at which time the plastic surgeons will pass judgment on how things went. If all goes well I'll be walking again soon, perhaps 10 days.

Also had enough Vancomycin & other high-test IV antibiotics to float a battleship.

Pain? Not that much. I'm on 800mg of ibuprofen + 600mg of gabapentin every 8 hours and was walking on the foot the evening after the first 2 surgeries; bathroom, up/down the hall etc.. All that stops me now is protecting the graft until it takes. No opiates at all, refused them, just my ridiculously high pain threshold and the above. Hardly even feel the 6"x3" patch they shaved off my thigh for the graft.

A "Doc-ism" - I had a nerve block at the ankle for the first 2 surgeries and watched the procedures start to finish out of academic interest, including when they snipped the bones etc. Odd seeing that done to your own foot, but as my wife said "you would!" The last surgery I relented and took a general anesthesia because the alternative, a spinal, appealed to me less than my desire to watch the graft being cut and applied. Oh well....
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Take care of that foot, Doc. you already know my family history on this one.
    Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

I hope theres no complications and that you get well soon (and that it's not a matrox soon )
      If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

May the rest be of footling importance!
        Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Yes, get well soon!
          pixar
          Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Ouch! Hope you get up and walking well in the near future (so at so avoid "soon").
            Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
            [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

I was beginning to worry, hoped it was just a spring break vacation.
              Here's to a speedy recovery.
              Chuck
              秋音的爸爸

Comment

All the best, Doc.
                Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

ouch.. good luck.
                  We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

Hope you heal quickly. Take care of your diabetes and your foot.
                    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

I thought Doc 'terminator' Mordrid would have limbs that grew back.

Sorry to hear of your troubles Doc, and wishing you a speedy recovery. Strange how both our Elder Statesmen get serious problems at the same time.
                      FT.

Comment

Sorry to hear Doc, you take care of yourself!

Comment

Holy crap !!!

get well soon Doc
                          PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
                          Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
                          +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

Update:

Well guys, the skin graft failed and I had to go into the hospital for 4 more days last week to get the wound cleaned up, and somewhat expanded due to removal of more damaged tissue, and start treating a second infection that began when the graft went south. No more grafts; they're going to let the body grow its own new skin to cover the wound, now 9x9 cm covering both the side and bottom of the foot, which it's already doing.

While there I was started on IV antibiotics which I'm now administering myself at home twice a day: 1,500 mg of Cefepime and 2,000 mg of Vancomycin per infusion, or 3,000 mg and 4,000 mg per day respectively of high-end front-line antibiotics. This plus 800 mg of Motrin, 600 mg of Neurontin (both for pain) and 50 mg of Benadryl (for my tape allergy), each 3 times a day. In addition part of the regimen of running the antibiotics is to flush the PICC catheter (a long-term IV tube running from my arm to the superior vena cava) with 10 units of Heparin (a blood thinner) when I'm done infusing to keep it open. I'll be on the IV antibiotics for at least another week.

I feel like a walking, talking drug store.

In addition I have a visiting nurse visiting every day in the AM to take my vitals, draw blood to check the Vancomycin level, clotting time and maintain the PICC catheter, as well as doing the morning dressing change (wet acetic acid dressing + absorbent pad + gauze roll + ace bandage) while Margie does the evening change.

I'm walking with a rubber sandal on that side, but my range is limited a bit because of some of the wound being on the bottom of the foot - don't want to over-stress the newly cut areas there for another week or two.

In other words: this sux.
                            Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 30 April 2010, 20:07.
                            Dr. Mordrid
                            ----------------------------
                            An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Yow that hurts just hearing about it!

Any foot trouble is bad news, and yours is almost as bad as it gets. Take care.

Kevin

Comment

Working...
                              X