Greebe and other Athlon experts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greebe and other Athlon experts

Hi, I'm thinking on buying an athlon system real soon. I was going to wait for the kx133's, but now that tom and anad have their reviews up, I'm not sure it's worth the wait. I just heard about the new MSI boards (6195 I think?) and was wondering if you had any experience with these boards. They have the superbypass revision so should be pretty fast, but I am looking for some first hand experience. I will be buying an Athlon 700 or more. I have a G400 MAX and don't want to have to do a crapload of work to get it to work. I did that with my current system and it's a pain in the neck. BTW, Greebe, have you tried o/cing a 700? Just curious what can be expecting from it.... Thanks for your help everyone.

Dimitri
    "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: His eyes are closed"
    --- Albert Einstein

"Drag racing is for people that don't know how to brake and downshift at the same time."

Up to the top - I'd like some advice on which mobo to get also.

Cheers, Tony.
    FT.

Comment

BTW, I just read Guyver's troubles with o/c'ing the 700 a little further down the page. How is it that Greebe broke 900 with a 550 (?) chip and Guyver can't do it with a 700? Is that the mobo or the chip? This may be a stupid question, but the only experience I've had have with overclocking is with a K6-2 300 to 338. Not too impressive, so you can see why I ask...
      "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: His eyes are closed"
      --- Albert Einstein

"Drag racing is for people that don't know how to brake and downshift at the same time."

Comment

MD, For one Guyv's (and ALBPM too) are using an Intel chip and I'm using an AMD. 2. Where Guyv's upping the FSB, I'm actually increasing the multiplier of the cpu. Guyv's instablilities might be also due to memory or fsb instabilities, including the effects on all other componets that this practice effects. Changing the Multiplier on an Athlon doesn't incure these possible adverse side effects as all other pararameters stay the same.
        I'll add that even though I don't think these are what's limiting them, increasing the FSB does have positive side effects... increased memory bandwidth and faster transfers on the AGP/PCI buses (of course the latter also depends on the ratios used).
        I'm running a week 42 oem Athlon 500 and if I use active cooling can hit 900, but I'm not. So it's 850 for me, since I'm a little more practical about it. I can't personally see spending another +$130 for active cooling just to get another 50mHz.
        By the way not all Athlons will do this, only the cream of the crop... but typically week 42-44 are quite adept at hitting 800-850 with excellant cooling.

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Thanks for the explanation Greebe. I agree, I don't think an extra 50 Mhz is worth 130 bucks. Anyway, I'm assuming since you didn't mention it, you haven't played around with the new msi board? What would be your suggestion regarding which board to use with a G400 MAX and Athlon 700. You use the "older" msi board very stabily, right? I think I will order the parts next week or one after that. Suggestions? Thanks again,

Dimitri
          --- Albert Einstein

Comment

Back up to the top....
            --- Albert Einstein

Comment

Ok, last chance to make any comments on the board. I'm going to start ordering my stuff now. This is going to be my system (unless anyone has any better ideas).....

Athlon 700
              MSI 6195 (once again, I forgot the name, but I think its this)
              196megs GENERIC pc100 RAM (Next I get will be DDR, so no point in getting kx133, right?)
              G400 MAX
              7200 RPM 20 gig Maxtor
              5400 (?) 6 gig WD
              DVD Rom (2nd gen)
              32X sony cd
              I will be building my own ps (somewhere around 700. Will I still need to worry about that being a problem? )
              And some cool cooling.... I was thinking of maybe making a fan and putting it next to one of those refrigerator coils (you know, the ones that start getting cold when the environment get's hot)....
              How should that work. Pretty well I hope.

Thanks for your feedback.

Dimitri
              --- Albert Einstein

Comment

Be carefull with the generic ram. Athlon mobo´s tend to be picky with ram. I´m running generic PC100 sdram too, but I had to make several tries until I found one that works.

Oh and one more thing about the power supply: If you are building one, I assume I are much more of an electronics expert than I and I shouldn´t telling anything new to you, but the voltages being stable and clean are as or more important than the raw watt power, right? That´s why some non-certified 300W ps simply don´t work, while certified 250W ones usually don´t have any problem.

700W? Damn! I think you are willing to use it with your brand new Itanium, rigth?

[This message has been edited by Nuno (edited 09 February 2000).]

Comment

The FSB and memory are not the problem in this case, as with a PIII-450 @ 133 runs perfectly well. The instability comes from the timing of the system components @ boot time. IE - Initializing components too soon, due to the fact that the processor is sending the commands out that much faster.

Ordered 2 new motherboards to try, both the Gigabyte GA-6CXC and the ASUS P3C2000, both of which were designed around the 133FSB with appropriate divisors for the AGP and PCI buses.

Hopefully one of these will do the trick...

If not, it will be Athlon for the next rig... It may be Athlon anyway...

Guyv

------------------
                  OK, Here's the rig...

ABIT BE6, PC Power & Cooling 425W ATX, PIII700E@868, 2x128MB PC133HSDRAM, 2xQuantum Atlas 10K Ultra160/m 18.2GB Drives, Adaptec ASC-29160 Ultra160/m controller, Matrox G400MAX (not OC'd), SBLive!Retail, 3Com 3CR990-TX-95 NIC, 3Com USRobotics 56K Voice Faxmodem Pro (USB/Serial), HP Deskjet 895CXi (USB/Parallel), Iomega ZIP 100 ATAPI, HP 8200i ATAPI, Matshita 3X DVDROM ATAPI, Kenwood 52X TrueX Ultra SCSI, Cambridge Soundworks DTT2500 Dolby Digital Sound System

Did I get too much? No!
                  Did I spend too much? (Total package about 5KUSD) - I'd say that's a Yes!
                  Am I having too much fun? Absolutely!
                  Gaming Rig.

- Gigabyte GA-7N400-Pro
                  - AMD Athlon 3200+ XP
                  - 1.5GB Dual Channel DDR 433Mhz SDRAM
                  - 6.1 Digital Audio
                  - Gigabit Lan (Linksys 1032)
                  - 4 x 120GB SATA Drives, RAID 0+1 (Striped/Mirrored)
                  - Sony DRU-500A DVD/+/-/R/RW
                  - Creative 8x DVD-ROM
                  - LS120 IDE Floppy
                  - Zip 100 IDE
                  - PNY Ultra 5900 (256MB)
                  - NEC FE950
                  - DTT2500 Cambridge Soundworks

Comment

Yeah, well, I'm stuck with the ram I got. It's coming from my old system and as I'm in college paying my own tuition without any income, I think I'll have to stick with it.... "So you see RAM... You had damn well better work!!!!!!" yells Dimitri at his computer. Nuno, I was also thinking of using the p.s. to run my stereo and my both my roommates computers and possibly jump start one of there cars once in a while...

Well, I guess all I can do is hope the RAM will work well. I don't want a trip to fry's every fifteen minutes....

Dimitri
                    --- Albert Einstein

Comment

MD, you mean the MSI 6167? MSI newest board is called the K7Pro... same chipset (I hope it's a rev.5 northbridge)! Doesn't look like they've added much to it though. I'm using really cheap 8ns PC100 sdram on mine (6167 rev.1) By the way there is a rev 1.1 MS6167 out also, but I haven't a clue as to whom may have it.
                      The PowerMan pws works great. One of these came with my InWin Q500-300A full tower case and it was cheap too! (~$85)

And to answer your last Q (sorry I forgot before) no I haven't OC'd a 700 as most people are on a budget and aren't willing to risk it (eh Pauly The highest I've done was a 650.
                      "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Greebe, from what I understand, MSI named the board not only to K7PRO, but also 619*. Anyway, I could very well be wrong. What kind of fps are you getting with that monster of yours?
                        --- Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                        X