GM recalls 1.2 million vehicles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GM recalls 1.2 million vehicles

For power steering issues. Don't have the link, just watched it on the news.

Electric power steering motors (EPS or EPAS) in 2005-2010 Cobalt & 2007-2010 Pontiac G5 and the 2005-2006 Pursuit's sold in Canada & Mexico.

These motors are made by JTEKT Corp, a unit of.....drumroll....Toyoda Machine Works which itself is a subsidiary of Toyota Motor Group.

If they fail you still have steering, but with increased effort at <15 mph. If a failure occurs you should get a warning bell and a light on the dash, but never say always.

These are high-powered motors, often 80 amp/1kW in 12 volt cars. Makers started using them in small cars 10-12 years ago to ease passing the EPA mileage standards, starting with Honda and BMW.

Here's GM's steering column as used on the Cobalt
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 2 March 2010, 20:53.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid View Post
      These motors are made by JTEKT Corp, a unit of.....drumroll....Toyoda Machine Works which itself is a subsidiary of Toyota Motor Group.
      Color me surprised. There are so many foreign-made parts in "American" cars these days that the phrase "Buy American" has lost all meaning.

Kevin

Comment

Working...
      X