Ice @ N. lunar pole

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ice @ N. lunar pole

This goes along with the ice found at the S. lunar pole last year.

NASA Radar Finds Ice Deposits at Moon's North Pole

Using data from a NASA radar that flew aboard India's Chandrayaan-1 spacecraft, scientists have detected ice deposits near the moon's north pole. NASA's Mini-SAR instrument, a lightweight, synthetic aperture radar, found more than 40 small craters with water ice. The craters range in size from 1 to 9 miles (2 to15 km) in diameter. Although the total amount of ice depends on its thickness in each crater, it's estimated there could be at least 1.3 million pounds (600 million metric tons) of water ice.

"The emerging picture from the multiple measurements and resulting data of the instruments on lunar missions indicates that water creation, migration, deposition and retention are occurring on the moon," said Paul Spudis, principal investigator of the Mini-SAR experiment at the Lunar and Planetary Institute in Houston. "The new discoveries show the moon is an even more interesting and attractive scientific, exploration and operational destination than people had previously thought."

During the past year, the Mini-SAR mapped the moon's permanently-shadowed polar craters that aren't visible from Earth. The radar uses the polarization properties of reflected radio waves to characterize surface properties. Results from the mapping showed deposits having radar characteristics similar to ice.

"After analyzing the data, our science team determined a strong indication of water ice, a finding which will give future missions a new target to further explore and exploit," said Jason Crusan, program executive for the Mini-RF Program for NASA's Space Operations Mission Directorate in Washington.

The Mini-SAR's findings are being published in the journal Geophysical Research Letters. The results are consistent with recent findings of other NASA instruments and add to the growing scientific understanding of the multiple forms of water found on the moon. The agency's Moon Mineralogy Mapper discovered water molecules in the moon's polar regions, while water vapor was detected by NASA's Lunar Crater Observation and Sensing Satellite, or LCROSS.
    >
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

it's estimated there could be at least 1.3 million pounds (600 million metric tons) of water ice.
    I think someone got the decimal point in the wrong place.

Kevin

Comment

I think it would be 1.3 billion
      Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
      Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

1.3 million lbs = 589.67 mT, not 600 million mT.
        Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Oops, I meant trillion not billion.

I was thinking it was the lbs figure that was incorrect - since I would assume it was first calculated in metric and then converted into lbs (I hope NASA uses Metric, otherwise I have no faith in them whatsoever).

1.3 trillion seems pretty huge though.
          Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)

Comment

A ha, I was right. It is indeed 1.3 trillian lbs that they estimated.

Additional evidence of water activity on moon Using data from a NASA radar that flew aboard India’s Chandrayaan-1 spacecraft, scientists have detected ice deposits near the moon’s north pole. NASA’s Mini-SAR instrument, a lightweight, synthetic aperture radar, found more than 40 small craters with water ice. The craters range in size from 1 to 9 […]

Comment

1.3 trillion lbs is a horse of another color. Certainly shows those shadowy craters could supply significantly sized bases with lots to spare.
              Dr. Mordrid

Comment

600 metric tons would just have filled a decent sized pool.

mfg
                wulfman
                "Perhaps they communicate by changing colour? Like those sea creatures .."
                "Lobsters?"
                "Really? I didn't know they did that."
                "Oh yes, red means help!"

Comment

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Unless my math is off (a distinct possibility) I make that as approximately 22 billion gallons.

Yeah, that's about right for a swimming pool.

Kevin

Comment

Way more than enough for drinking, generating fuel (hydro-lox) and other uses.

Might be enough for each base to have a Jacuzzi or two
                      Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Working...
                      X